Author Topic: Autotools project import  (Read 3783 times)

radev

Autotools project import
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:40:49 pm »
Is there any way to import project using autotools into CB?

I found only MSVS projects import in SVN version, but no popular Linux project files import...  :?:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Autotools project import
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:30:09 pm »
Ask Takeshi :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

Re: Autotools project import
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:52:17 pm »
Getting missunderstandings from long ago: :D

This pretty much sounded like "autotools import" to me.

"./configure" != simple "./configure-like".

Personally, I was amazed then, and I still am, because I don't have even the faintest idea how one could implement such a thing.
lol, neither I do. Parsing m4 in heavy cryptic 700KB configure scripts is something that we never live enough to see, probably. :lol:

Just in case after the 3-months-long explanations wasn't clear :lol:, I was talking about create a new cross-platform system which would do simmilar things to what ./configure does on linux. Certainly nothing to do with auto-tools import, neither with auto-tools.

---------

Now on the topic: If someone haves lot's of time in his hands, knows m4 and autofriends to heart, and uses some kind of parser-generator (boost::wave, antlr), certainly it would not be *that* unfeasible.
But again, if someone ends writting a auto-tools import, it will be useless if we don't have all the elements to be translated to.
We have the C::B build system which replaces automake.
But we don't have a cross-platform configure system which replaces autoconf.
And we don't have a cross-platform configure system which replaces ./configure.

So if anyone is be interested the steps could be:
-Create a make replacement (done).
-Create an automake replacement (done).
-Create a configure replacement.
-Create an autoconf replacement.
-Create a libtool replacement.
-Create an autotools importer.

In what I'm interested is in creating a configure replacement: I can visualize (some XML/INI perhaps) distributed with each package, telling the available flags and configurations for the given library, and modes of compilations, compilers supported, etc. while they will be selected in a GUI or console way by the user.
Unfortunately I don't got the time (working on other things), but if someone wants to do it, I'm willing to help :)

Basically the configure GUI version would be very simmilar to this:

Regards,
Takeshi Miya