Author Topic: forum - marked as read  (Read 8050 times)

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
forum - marked as read
« on: April 30, 2005, 10:16:05 am »
1) forum
i got accustomed from using other forums that if one is logged in, you get information about unread and read threads, in a way, that only the threads one has actually read are marked as read, the others stay marked as unread.

Here i login to the forum and the very first time i get the read/unread thread marks by different colors. But when i start reading an unread thread and a few minutes later want to read the other unread threads, ALL threads are got marked as read, so i have to guess by the time and date of the posting, if i've already read or not.
i consider this behaviour as bug, isn't it ?

2) documentation
FAQ and Handbook should contain much more infos!

3) overall
very good appearance, thanks for this great IDE !

-tiwag

Offline Profic

• Multiple posting newcomer
forum - marked as read
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 08:38:27 am »
about 1)
It's standart behaviour of phpbb and lot of other forums (not only free)
I just use "Show new posts since last visit"
Not fear, nor tears can reach me now, the light seems so clear as the night fades away (c) Tristania - Beyond The Veil

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
forum - marked as read
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 11:44:10 am »
Quote from: Profic
about 1)

do you plan to change this behaviour or is this well considered and wanted the way it is yet ?

Offline Profic

forum - marked as read
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 12:58:09 pm »
do you plan to change this behaviour or is this well considered and wanted the way it is yet ?

first of all, it's not me admining this site :)
AFAIK it is not easily changeble w/out havy code rewrite as it is hard coded into phpbb
Not fear, nor tears can reach me now, the light seems so clear as the night fades away (c) Tristania - Beyond The Veil

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
forum - marked as read
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 01:41:13 pm »
Quote from: Profic
about 1)

As fdar as I know this is not a standart behaviour. I've seen a lot of forums, and only the pnphpbb forum has this problem. others have this problem when you move to another site, but not when you read a topic. So I think it is a bug in this forum software..
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline Profic

forum - marked as read
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 03:19:21 pm »
Strange, but I have the same behaviour with at least three different forums based on phpbb, vBullitein and InvisionBoard (I'll not linking them, as they are all in Russian :)), but seems that time before this happens is longer...

However for me it seems that "Show messages since last visit" is more "advanched" way to see new messages :)