Author Topic: Slow perfomance on linux (Ubuntu Dapper)  (Read 49287 times)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Slow perfomance on linux (Ubuntu Dapper)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 04:05:08 pm »
Hello,

I have uploaded a special .deb package for TESTING based on rev2411 (CodeBlocks_rev2411_TEST_package). You can find it here:

http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=547711

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline sque

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 10:31:29 pm »
After a 3 weeks vacations, I am back :)
I checkout the svn and compiled a snapshot to do some tests

Here are my results:
* When I open the codeblocks-unix.cbd I get 100% cpu usage for a long time ONLY when the Codecompletition plugin is on.
* I can confirm that if I move the mouse above the program I am getting 100% cpu usage too...

I will try to build with EVT_UPDATE_UI commented out to see what happens.

(My system as always... ubuntu dapper 2.2ghz Athlon XP, 1GB Ram, Nvidia 5700 FX)
Tell me a bug and I 'll tell you two  :twisted:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 01:58:34 pm »
I have uploaded a special .deb package for TESTING based on rev2411

Did any of the affected people ever care to test this package in all that time?

It seems like the CPU problem is not that critical then, after all...   :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 02:10:34 pm »
Did any of the affected people ever care to test this package in all that time?

Hello,

Just one person has downloaded the package. And IIRC, the same day or the day after, I have uploaded the package.

Today, I wanted to delete it to make free space, but I could not, because of a server error. So, it is still available :).

[EDIT]: Just an update. Two persons have downloaded it. Therefore, I have now deleted the package.

Best wishes,
Michael
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:44:21 pm by Michael »

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 04:59:16 pm »
Taking those out seems to have no effect.  I am using the autotools build which compiles with -g no matter what I do, so that might have some effect.  I will compare the normal Code::Blocks performance on Linux both autotools and CB based builds, then I will check out the nightly on windows and report back.

Does anyone have a good Linux profiling tool that will handle shared libraries?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:23:34 pm by Game_Ender »

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 07:05:06 pm »
Taking those out seems to have no effect.  I am using the autotools build which compiles with -g no matter what I do, so that might have some effect.  I will compare the normal Code::Blocks performance on Linux both autotools and CB based builds, then I will check out the nightly on windows and report back.
I didn't test this, but you can try to remove the -g flag in the CXXFLAGS variable in config.status (only available after running ./configure), touch one Makefile.am and then run make again. It will update the Makefiles automatically with the variables values that are stored in config.status.
Edit: Now I checked it and it works. The -g disappeared ;)
Does anyone have a good Linux profiling tool that will handle shard libraries?
Don't know whether it helps you, but I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_analysis . There you find few links to profilers. I just wanted to know what a profiler is and found it  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:17:27 pm by daniel2000 »
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 07:26:17 pm »
Thank you for the autotools tip.  Do you know if autoconf can be made to include architecture specific optimizations when configureing?

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 08:56:48 pm »
Thank you for the autotools tip.  Do you know if autoconf can be made to include architecture specific optimizations when configureing?
I have only little experience with autotools (read few parts of this "Autotools Tutorial" eBook).
But take a look at acinclude.m4. There is a target and a platform check ( the CODEBLOCKS_GET_PLATFORM or the CODEBLOCKS_SETUP_FOR_TARGET part at the beginning). The architecture is the first part of the target string ( target = $CPU-$VENDOR-$OS ).
In line 188 of acinclude.m4 is also a platform check (for the xp-manifest plugin).
AFAICS it can be done with bash/sh ifs and cases ;)

Hope these hints can help you. :)
I can't give you a more exactly answer because I don't know these things, I'm learning them by reading the existing code (I didn't even know what I wrote above when I read your post :mrgreen:).
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 03:50:04 pm »
I haven't had a chance to use this, but I think found a good profiler to use with CB.  Gprog/sprof are pretty hard to use because of all the shared libraries CB uses.  Sysprof, which is a kernel module and application, let you profile the any application in the system.  Hope this helps the CB team.

Jabber

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm having the same problems on Debian Etch (=Testing). I tested the current SVN against self-compiled wxGTK 2.6.2 ANSI builds and wxGTK 2.6.3 Unicode builds; both show the awfully slow editor behaviour. Scite isn't blazing fast, but compared to C::B not slow at all.
Is there anything I can do to trace this down? I've got no experience with profiling and would need some detailed instructions...

Jabber

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 11:40:00 pm »
I gave it a try with sysprof and most of the time was spent acutally in pango.  I should try it again and compare to scite to see what the difference is.  Most of the time there is noticeable lag, its not the kind where you type faster than text appears, but its still there.

Sysprof is was pretty easy to install in Ubuntu.  You should have it in the debian repositories as well.

I would be interested to hear if Mandrav has the problem since he developes on Ubuntu.  Maybe his machine is fast enough that it doesn't max out the CPU.

Quick question Jabber, are you using custom font colors?

Jabber

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 10:30:27 pm »
Quick question Jabber, are you using custom font colors?

No, I'm not.

If I got some time left on the weekend I'll give sysprof a shot.

Jabber

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 12:39:18 pm »
Good news, everyone  :D

I installed sysprof and was ready to start profiling when I noticed the slow editor problems no longer were there. I profiled anyway and found a substantial time was spend in libcairo for font rendering. A new version of libcairo (1.2.2) entered Etch yesterday (or was it the day before?), so I suspect something was fixed upstream by the cairo devs.
So, anyone with slowness problems should try to update libcairo to a version >=1.2.2.

Jabber

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 02:17:40 am »
Have you downgraded libcairo and tried again, just to double check.  I will try this when I get a chance, I guess it will fininally give a reason for me to learn how to build a source package on Ubuntu.

EDIT: It turns out 1.2.2 is in the next version of Ubuntu, Edgy Eft, but I don't want to run something as unstable as that on my laptop which can't have its drivers breaking all the time.  So if I build another desktop I will give it a try on there.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:23:38 am by Game_Ender »

Jabber

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 06:40:17 pm »
Lots of packages depend on the latest version of libcairo, so I'll restrain from downgrading -- I don't want to break my main desktop...

I'm not sure if it was just libcairo's fault, because others like you use older versions without having the slowness problem. Anyway, it was solved for me by upgrading, so hopefully it helps others, too.

Jabber