Author Topic: The 01 april 2006 build is out.  (Read 44061 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The 01 april 2006 build is out.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:46 am »
Why don't you manage to reproduce it killerbot?
I guess he's using wxWidgets 2.6.3 (RC or release). The bug has disappeared with this version of wxWidgets - so he couldn't reproduce.
With regards, Morten.
I don't have it with wx 2.6.2 neither

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 03:36:11 pm »
The 01 April 2006 build is out.
Resolved Fixed:

• Fix the bug on the wxStatusbar code generated by wizard

and introduced another bug :)

it would be nice, if one would test the changes before commiting to svn  :shock:

change
   SetMenuBar(new wxStatusBar(this,-1));
to
   SetStatusBar(new wxStatusBar(this,-1));

otherwise you'll get a compile error

bszente

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 09:09:43 pm »
Just make sure you don't mix RC2 and nightly, my personal advice : remove RC2 ;-)
Hi Lieven,

I unsinstalled RC2, I deleted every C::B related file. I even deleted everything related to C::B from the registry too. After this done, I simply unzipped the C::B from this build, to the standard installation path along with the wxWidgets DLL and mingwm10.dll.

That 5 seconds startup time did not disappear. I attached a screenshot too. You can see there, that I started consecutively 4 times Code::Blocks and closed it. Each time the startup duration is 5 second, and the CPU usage is ~100%. After this short time everything goes back to normal, but it is realy bothering this long startup time.

... But for sure thigns have got better.
Definitelly. There are numeruous new good and handy features. That's why I'm upgrading.

But really, am I the only one, who experience this long startup time? It might happen the the problem relies at my side... :?

Regards,
bszente

[attachment deleted by admin]

takeshimiya

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 09:35:51 pm »
bszente: no, you're not the only one to experience the problem, and I'm concerned about it.
Here's an extract of a PM I sent to Yiannis:

* Performance issues:
I have spent some time trying to find a profiler other than gprof (because it's known limitations).
I couldn't find any free win32 one (I use CodeAnalyst from AMD which is really good but only works with VC on win32, and for linux it works with gcc but requieres kernel recompilation).

I became very concerned about the hotspot:
-C::B initial load is very slow (it is more than Firefox :shock:). On first load it takes 15 seconds on this machine, and 5 seconds on subsequents loads.
That is crossing the barrier between acceptable, but it's still not much.

The problem relies when I need to use C::B at univ., because the programs can only be loaded from the lan. It takes 50 seconds :shock: to load, while almost any other program takes less (SciTE takes 1 seconds).
At first I thought that it was the lexers, but they are part responsible only. The lexers usually take a constant time of 4 seconds on every load (that is, when running C::B or opening the Editor dialog).
About that, couldn't the lexers be loaded only on C::B load instead of on every Editor dialog aperture (cached)?

But after all I noticed probably most time is spent in stub dll loading, almost 0.8~2 seconds for each plugin dll, which when added to lexers, I reach the 15 seconds that C::B tooks on first load (on my pc: Athlon 64 3000, 512MB).
I don't know other way to solve that unleast using the GCC4 feature visibility=hidden. See here: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 09:39:57 pm by Takeshi Miya »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 10:13:57 pm »
-C::B initial load is very slow (it is more than Firefox Shocked). On first load it takes 15 seconds on this machine, and 5 seconds on subsequents loads
Firefox runs prelink after installing. If you do that after compiling Code::Blocks, it is a lot faster, too. On my machine, it loads in about three seconds on the first run without me caring to use the visibilty flag at all.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:35 pm »
-C::B initial load is very slow (it is more than Firefox Shocked). On first load it takes 15 seconds on this machine, and 5 seconds on subsequents loads
Firefox runs prelink after installing. If you do that after compiling Code::Blocks, it is a lot faster, too. On my machine, it loads in about three seconds on the first run without me caring to use the visibilty flag at all.

Good to know, it isn't not the point btw.