Author Topic: Linking duration too high  (Read 7485 times)

Gorgar

Linking duration too high
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:15:08 am »
It's strange, but the linking time takes about 2.5 times more in comparison to makefiles. :(

Where might be a problem? I searched the project and plugin options but found nothing special for decreasing linking duration. Project values are equal to the ones I use in my makefiles, so there seems to be no difference...

Any ideas?

thx,
Gorgar

Using:
MinGW 3.1.0
wxWidgets 2.5.3
Code::Blocks 1.0 beta 7

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 08:20:08 pm »
Would you mind timing your results? Don't forget to dist-clean before every try, otherwise your results might be skewed.

Thanks.

Gorgar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:08:40 am »
Sorry, my fault, these are my first steps in MinGW, I used VC++ 6.0 'til now...

I tried it again, it's only a difference of 7 secs. I forgot after switching from Eclipse to Code::Blocks the wxWidgets libraries have also been recompiled by myself (and Code::Blocks uses). Therefore I suppose the new libraries seem to be the problem right now.

Again that's strange, but maybe this is a topic for another discussion board. :)

Or can you give me a hint to speed up gcc? About 2 minutes compilation and linking time for a simple
frame demo I used for testing is rather slow (in comparison to VC). Of course I can use the release
version of the libraries, but even that is far beyond VC with debugging information...

Nethertheless, thx for the reply

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:44:15 pm »
You *MIGHT* try downloading gcc 4.0 mingw unofficial build, i've heard it's faster than the current gcc. However I forgot where you can download it ^^;

Sorry, I don't know how else you could speed up linking. Slow compiling/linking has always been an issue with GCC.

Gorgar

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 11:20:34 pm »
Many thanks for your help. Because of compiling the project on a Linux system later I still have to use gcc3, the unofficial build might be too risky.

Maybe an official release will come out in the next two months (*hoping*).

EricBurnett

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:54:00 am »
Actually, gcc 4.0 is supposed to be the same speed as before. The big changes that were made to it will enable great speed increases to be made, but they will come later (still have to be written). As with the 3 series, the compiler only really got faster and worth using at 3.2...I expect a similar timeline for gcc 4.