Author Topic: Pic Your Tux  (Read 27723 times)

BeerSlinger

Re: Pic Your Tux
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 03:07:35 am »
I did get Ubuntu to install correctly, and I see why it is exceptionally good for those that haven't experienced Linux.  Its nice and I think I’m going to try to push it for a few days to see what I can do, but I don't think I’m going to be happy with it because I don't see any of the server setup for Apache
Start the synaptic package manager, you can install apache from there if it is not on your system (I thought it was default install, though). Just check the small box, and press "apply changes".

Yeah, found it, thanks....

There is alot to go through....

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:06 am »
Remember this: "LAMP"! If you want to make a feature packed site, you will want a LAMP setup... In case you don't really know what LAMP means, it means: "Linux Apache MySQL PHP"! And another note: On some package listings, it is httpd instead of apache! I also recommend PHP4 along with PHP5!

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 05:14:34 am »
Everything is crystal clear explained in the wiki: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ApacheMySQLPHP

I just need to make sure you saw this BeerSlinger. This is the reason Ubuntu is so good. The community is AWSOME. This tutorial is great, plus it shows you how to do the Apache install.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

BeerSlinger

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 07:34:08 am »
Forgive my silence.....some have interpreted this as inaction, confusion or bewilderment but I’m really doing my homework at this point….at least for some that have seen me on linuxquestions.org…or on this or other sites because I always use the same user-name on a number of sites.

At this point, I’m running through some distributions that Takeshi has suggested...at this point I’m playing particular attention to Ubuntu and Debian with the focus of C::B and LAMP….I new all of those packages, but I didn’t know that there was an acronym for them…and that was new to me…but it was directly addressing everything I needed in the short term….C::B is only for my personal satisfaction…

To close this out, which I have never done before, I want to thank you all for your help…I’m sure that I will find a Linux format that I’m comfortable with; mostly because I’m determined to switch operating systems….

And thanx once again Takeshi

takeshimiya

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 09:49:52 am »
RJP is right, the best thing about Ubuntu is not the distro per se, but about the synergy between the community and the distro.
And better even is that everything is contributed back to Debian, so it's a synergy between distros and between communities. :)

Just remember to always search at the Ubuntu wiki and forums whenever you have questions. :wink:

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
I can understand that but wouldn't that get a little messy if the writer starts using slang?

It is not so easy. Each web forum has several moderators who help users and check for bad behaviour. Naturally a 100% security is not possible and most depend on the users themselves.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 08:50:17 am »
Remember this: "LAMP"! If you want to make a feature packed site, you will want a LAMP setup... In case you don't really know what LAMP means, it means: "Linux Apache MySQL PHP"! And another note: On some package listings, it is httpd instead of apache! I also recommend PHP4 along with PHP5!

Haven't done that style of web developement, but I would recommend on of the new "dynamic" web framework that make it so much easier to make web apps than with LAMP.  For Ruby there is the famous: Rails, and for Python there are the up and commming Turbogear and Djanjo.  They provide a framework to more quickly build web applications with 10-20% (for ruby at least, the python ones are a bir more verbose) of the code when compared to PHP.