Author Topic: Can someone point me in the right direction(s)  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Tyro

• Single posting newcomer
    • Ivan's Place
Can someone point me in the right direction(s)
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:03:39 am »
Hi again,

I am the veriest tyro at this business; just got into the CodeBlocks IDE.  I'm having some success with very simple console applications, and want to try to port a Visual C++ Win32GUI-type program I succeeded in writing years ago into the CodeBlocks IDE.  It looks as if GLFW, OpenGL, and Win32GUI are the parallel templates I need.  I got my sample Win32GUI app to show the window, but can't get sample GLFW and OpenGL apps to do anything after they successfully compile.  Do I need other programs/libraries, or am I mistaken about what these apps do?

Also, I totally lost all my Visual C++ code/folders, and don't quite see where to put my various program codes in the CodeBlocks templates.  Is there a good Open Source C++ tutorial available?  I used Horton's Visual C++ to do my earlier work.

As I said, I'm really a neophyte.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
Re: Can someone point me in the right direction(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:09:38 am »
Hi,

I'm having some success with very simple console applications, and want to try to port a Visual C++ Win32GUI-type program I succeeded in writing years ago into the CodeBlocks IDE. It looks as if GLFW, OpenGL, and Win32GUI are the parallel templates I need.

Actually, you only need one of these templates, depending which technology you are using to do your GUI (Graphical User Interface) stuff. Win32GUI is generic template, suitable to use with any GUI toolkit, but by default uses Windows' most native (and low level) one - WinAPI.
Both OpenGL and GLFW templates utilize OpenGL library, suitable to any tasks that require fast, accelerated 3D graphics (mostly computer games or scientific visualizations). The first one uses standard OpenGL libraries available with any compiler, while GLFW template uses dedicated OpenGL framework called pretty much the same as template itself (GLFW's homepage contains more info).

I got my sample Win32GUI app to show the window, but can't get sample GLFW and OpenGL apps to do anything after they successfully compile.  Do I need other programs/libraries, or am I mistaken about what these apps do?
Win32GUI and OpenGL templates should compile and work out of the box, while GLFW requires setting GLFW library itself first.
If OpenGL template doesn't work for you (it should display simple rotating triangle btw.), then it seems your hardware (or software, bad gfx drivers?) at present configuration doesn't support accelerated graphics. That's pretty unlikely situation, however.

I used Horton's Visual C++ to do my earlier work.
Then it seems the applicaton you are trying to port is written with MFC, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 03:14:46 am by squizzz »
this space is for rent

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 03:31:00 am »
Just something to note: GLFW already makes use of Win32 and OpenGL, so you might need to use only that template.

But anyways, the templates are a simple project with a 'hello world'-like source attached, so see what compiler and linker flags/libs you might need.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:36:16 pm »
Do I need other programs/libraries, or am I mistaken about what these apps do?
Yes, you'll need an OpenGL package for mingw. Google for it or search in the forums. There are many other topics/posts where such problems are discussed and solved.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ