Author Topic: How do I incorporate nighlty builds  (Read 6922 times)

How do I incorporate nighlty builds
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:44:46 pm »
Hi, I'm fairly new at all this, so I'm sorry if this question isn't particularly thought provoking.
  I'd like to play with the wxSmith stuff included in the last nightly build.  However, I have no idea how to get code blocks to recognize it.

Here's what I've done.
  -Downloaded nightly build in .7z format
  (Downloaded 7z package to extract this file)
  -Realized that there's a .dll in there.
  -Have no idea where to put the .dll how to use the .dll.

I've been searching the forum and the wiki and whatnot for a while now, and haven't come any closer to figuring this out.  I'd really appreciate any help.

(Also, do I need to download a copy of wxWidgets, and if so, where do I put it/what do I do with it.)
  I'm running Windows if that makes any difference.  Thanks.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: How do I incorporate nighlty builds
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:53:30 pm »
1. Download CB_2006xxxx_revxxx_win32.7z, mingwm10.7z, and wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z
2. Unpack the CB_2006xxxx file to some arbitrary location
3. Unpack the dlls and put them into the same folder
4. Run virus scan
5. Launch executable

Note that you can not use the wxmsw library that you may have from RC2.

EDIT: You do not need to download wxWidgets to use Code::Blocks, but you do need to download it to program using wxWidgets. Since you intend to use wxSmith, that's quite obvious... :)
Either use a binary DevPak, or better, download the sources and compile your own (so you know what you get). Just unpack the zipfile to some arbitrary location and compile using the instructions on the wxWidgets site (alternatively, you can follow the instructions for building Code::Blocks, you get a valid monolithic wxWidgets build during that process, too). Then, make a project using the wxWidgets template, and enter the location where your wxWidgets build lives when prompted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:58:54 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:58:21 pm »
4. Run virus scan

Are the nightly builds not checked against virus and so on before being uploaded?

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »
Are the nightly builds not checked against virus and so on before being uploaded?
You should never open/execute any kind of file that originates from the internet without scanning it first.

It does not matter whether someone else presumably scanned it or not, and it does not matter if the author is a completely unknown person or your best friend.

FTP servers can be hacked, executables can be modified after being uploaded. And even your best friend could send you a virus without even knowing.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:07:09 pm »
You should never open/execute any kind of file that originates from the internet without scanning it first.

It does not matter whether someone else presumably scanned it or not, and it does not matter if the author is a completely unknown person or your best friend.

FTP servers can be hacked, executables can be modified after being uploaded. And even your best friend could send you a virus without even knowing.

Yes, you are right. It is worth to check for virus and other evil beasts, after downloading/getting a new software. I think that sometimes I am just too lazy and/or hope too much from my antivirus :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:19:53 pm »
Yes, you are right. It is worth to check for virus and other evil beasts, after downloading/getting a new software.
Not only software, any kind of file. Remember the numerous buffer overflow attacks to various image formats in the past, and remember that many filetypes can actually contain executable code although you would never suspect that (mpeg videos, pdf files, wmf files, ...).

Also, you should always scan after decompressing (or scan twice if you are really paranoid), as you cannot rely that realtime protection really looks into each and every archive file. 7zip is a good example of a file type which is not transparently handled by all scanners.

Of course, even if you are really paranoid about scanning every file, this does not grant you 100% security. But at least, it blocks the most stupid and the most casual attacks.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:41:33 pm »
Yes, you are right. It is worth to check for virus and other evil beasts, after downloading/getting a new software.
Not only software, any kind of file. Remember the numerous buffer overflow attacks to various image formats in the past, and remember that many filetypes can actually contain executable code although you would never suspect that (mpeg videos, pdf files, wmf files, ...).

Also, you should always scan after decompressing (or scan twice if you are really paranoid), as you cannot rely that realtime protection really looks into each and every archive file. 7zip is a good example of a file type which is not transparently handled by all scanners.

Of course, even if you are really paranoid about scanning every file, this does not grant you 100% security. But at least, it blocks the most stupid and the most casual attacks.

Yes, right. Buffer overflow is a good example. Jpeg too. Normally, I always scan for files, software, etc. downloaded to suspect websites. Anyway, this security measure should also be apllied to more "trustful" websites.

I am not paranoid, but usually, I do scheduled scans and quite each evening a scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Sometimes just a scanning it is not enough (independent on how good is your antivirus). One time I have had a virus in my computer (one of those Java viruses) located in my profile. The infected profile was saved into a linux server (at my work, each time I switch off, restart my computer its profile is stored into a server). Later, I have discovered and deleted the virus, but as sometimes I cannot store my profile (the reason I do not know), each time I re-started my computer I got the virus again. And this until I could save a clean profile.

Best wishes,
Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 09:00:51 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I am still a little confused with your response:

"1.  Download CB_2006xxxx_revxxx_win32.7z, mingwm10.7z, and wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z"

I know where the wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z is.  However, I have no idea what you are referring to with the other two files.  I've been searching
Are these things that were included in code::blocks itself?  Or do I get them from somewhere else.  Please let me know.  And thanks for the earlier response.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 09:05:54 pm »
I know where the wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z is.
Same place, the Nightly Builds posts.

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z
For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z
The 24 March 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060324_rev2247_win32.7z
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:10:37 pm »
I know where the wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z is.