Author Topic: Debugger Visualizer  (Read 4605 times)

Offline peso

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Abalone on Wikipedia
Debugger Visualizer
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:18:05 am »
Hi guys.

I just seen the Visual Studio Debugger Visualizer in action, and this looks like a very very nice addition to a gui that does debugging.

See http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/ImageVisualizer.asp

The idea is to write a small piece of code that can be run during a debugging session to display your data structures. Lets say you are writing a chess engine, using bitboards. Whith this you can draw a chess diagram in a small window, instead of manually inspecting a lot of bits.

This is not a feature that codeblocks have today, but is it possible at all to do this kind of stuff? I suspect you would need some way to make gdb call code in a codeblocks plugin. Is it a major change to gdb, intead of to codeblocks?

Regards,
peso

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Debugger Visualizer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:30:47 am »
Code::Blocks can do that.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:29 pm »
I don't think its possible to open up another window to visualize something but the can you make a debugger script.  This script is called by Code::Blocks when ever GDB encounters your variable type and can be used to show custom text with the important information you need in it.  Search for "debugger scripts" on the forum.  I don't think this feature is documented.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:46 pm »
By the way, that only works for C# apps, so if CB can do this for C++ then we will be one step ahead of the VS 2005.