Author Topic: What About Code::Blocks futur ?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Feneck91

• Multiple posting newcomer
What About Code::Blocks futur ?
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:23:30 pm »
I would like to make software and librairies with code::blocks (and WxWidgets).
I see that one important member has leaved the developpement team.

What about the futur of Code::blocks ? Is it a good idea to take this IDE ? Or it will dead ?
No new release for several months... Missing projects dependencies, etc.
I would like to know to take a decision about my futur developpement IDE's platform.

Feneck91

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: What About Code::Blocks futur ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 03:37:15 pm »
I would like to make software and librairies with code::blocks (and WxWidgets).
I see that one important member has leaved the developpement team.

What about the futur of Code::blocks ? Is it a good idea to take this IDE ? Or it will dead ?
No new release for several months... Missing projects dependencies, etc.
I would like to know to take a decision about my futur developpement IDE's platform.

Feneck91

Ehm....Did you try the latest nightly build :D? You will be really surprised (especially if you are using RC2 :)).

C::B is not dead and it is development is fast and excellent.

Personally, I use it all the time if I have no IDE constraints and I have had no big problems until now. If i have something I post in the forum and voilĂ  :D.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Maciek

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:45:19 pm »
There are new releases. Not official, but there are nightly builds. They're compiled every day to show current level of development and are already much more stable and user friendly then rc2. If you're on windows xp then you can have them every day, if on 9x there is a month old build, and if you're on some other system you'll have to probably build it yourself by using svn but it's still not that hard. 

EDIT: Damn, beaten :)

krysa

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:09:52 pm »
There are new releases. Not official, but there are nightly builds. They're compiled every day to show current level of development and are already much more stable and user friendly then rc2. If you're on windows xp then you can have them every day, if on 9x there is a month old build, and if you're on some other system you'll have to probably build it yourself by using svn but it's still not that hard. 
If the nightly builds are more stable than the official release, then why doesn't it make it to the official release?
Personaly, i only download and use software that is marked as "stable". RC2 isn't all that stable and i never expect some development snapshots (nightly builds) to be more stable, than the official release.

Mabybe it's time for RC3? or beta? or whatever?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:27:10 pm »
If you're on windows xp then you can have them every day[...]

Linux "nightly" builds for some distros are also provided. Look at here for example :D.

EDIT: Damn, beaten :)

:lol:

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:33:55 pm »
If the nightly builds are more stable than the official release, then why doesn't it make it to the official release?

A new release should come out soon AFAIK. Anyway, I am happy building C::B by myself both in Windows as in Linux (ubuntu) :D.

Personaly, i only download and use software that is marked as "stable". RC2 isn't all that stable and i never expect some development snapshots (nightly builds) to be more stable, than the official release.

Normally I use stable versions when working on projects and/or applications and development versions for testing and investigation :). Anyway, in some cases development versions are more stable and "better" than stable/current versions (e.g., GDB).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Feneck91

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 08:51:08 pm »
Did you try the latest nightly build ? You will be really surprised (especially if you are using RC2 ).
I'm using RC2. I only use this version on Windows XP.
How to install/download this version ? (nightly build) ??

I think that is not good for Code::Blocks to have only 1 or 2 version by years.... Why don't make more stable version ? One by 3 month for exemple... Isn't it ?

I would like to use same project on Windows XP and Linux Red Hat 7.0 (in my job). I don't have admin rights. I don't have program to make configure, not really simple to install it on Linux...

What I need to get the lastest version of Code::blocks ? CVS ?
Another question : Is an add-on exist to help to generate resource (xrc) file ?

Feneck91 (french developper).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 09:06:33 pm »
How to install/download this version ? (nightly build) ??
What I need to get the lastest version of Code::blocks ? CVS ?
Another question : Is an add-on exist to help to generate resource (xrc) file ?
All of that is well-documented, you may want to read...
1. Download both the program and the libraries and unpack using the 7-Zip compression utility. Do not copy over RC2.
2. For nightly builds: 7-Zip. For building from source: Subversion, TortoiseSVN, or any similar tool. http://subversion.tigris.org -- http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org
3. wxSmith

I think that is not good for Code::Blocks to have only 1 or 2 version by years.... Why don't make more stable version ? One by 3 month for exemple... Isn't it ?
This, too, has been explained many times as can be read in several places on the forums or on Wikipedia.
The next official release will be a release candidate for 1.0 and until then we are not officially releasing anything to make the versioning issue not worse than it is already. Technically we should go back to beta, but this would probably confuse even more people.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Feneck91

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:48:33 pm »
Thank for your reply.
I understand why you don't publish more release...
I hope a big and long future for this project.