Author Topic: How to get rid of the bootstrap : bad interpreter error  (Read 8817 times)

ro.nau

How to get rid of the bootstrap : bad interpreter error
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:03 am »
Hi, I couldn't register in the wiki, so I can't give the tip there... (There is not register form)

If you call:
"ro.nau@localhost ~/codeblocks-1.0rc2 $ ./bootstrap"

And get something like this:
: bad interpreter: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[in English: File or directory not found]

You should simply open the script with an editor like emacs, copy the whole text and paste in in a new one. :D
You'll replace the Windows lineendings by unix ones this way. (I guess so, but it works..)

So, please add a register form in the wiki, I'd really like to write everything useful down.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: How to get rid of the bootstrap : bad interpreter error
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:31:51 am »
Hello,

Thanks for the tip :), but AFAIK the C::B wiki contains already this info, or? Look at here.

You might would like to give a try to a SVN build of C::B :D.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:06:35 am »
So, please add a register form in the wiki, I'd really like to write everything useful down.
The reason why there is no register form (and why there will not be one) is that we grew tired of 35 new spam bots registering every day and vandalising the WiKi. It is for the same reason that anonymous editing was disabled, and it is for the same reason that you cannot access half of the forum without registering and cannot post in the other half.

You will have to ask Yiannis for an account if you need one.

If you ever happen to meet a spam bot programmer IRL, kick him where it really hurts. Twice if you can. Until then, sorry for the inconvenience.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

ro.nau

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:48:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip :), but AFAIK the C::B wiki contains already this info, or? Look at here.

Oh, yes! I didn't see the information about "dos2unix", but I think a little comment that copying the content from one file to another wouldn't hurt.

@Thomas:
I didn't know about the spam bots, that's really shocking! Why does anyone try to damage open source projects? I remember a hacker gained control of the irrlicht forum some months ago, I cannot understand why. I don't know, are hackers nowadays without ideology? Are they just playing around with some tools to do anything? I think every interested hacker (I don't mean the media's intention) has much more fun in being productive insted of destructive.
How do you think about the situation, why do you think do people damage OS projects?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:07:33 pm »
I didn't know about the spam bots, that's really shocking! Why does anyone try to damage open source projects? I remember a hacker gained control of the irrlicht forum some months ago, I cannot understand why. I don't know, are hackers nowadays without ideology? Are they just playing around with some tools to do anything? I think every interested hacker (I don't mean the media's intention) has much more fun in being productive insted of destructive.
How do you think about the situation, why do you think do people damage OS projects?

You might would like to have a look at this wiki article. Not all the hackers are bad. Some are just interested in gaining access to specific computer. Nothing more, nothing less. The crackers instead are bad.

Best wishes,
Michael

ro.nau

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:30:37 pm »

You might would like to have a look at this wiki article. Not all the hackers are bad. [...] The crackers instead are bad.

Why are they bad? I just meant someone, who can deal professionally with computers, with hacker, of course there are 'good' and 'bad' ones. But why? What's the motivation of crackers to damage free software systems? I understand how to be against commercial software, for example because of a dislike for restrictions of licenses. But what motivates people to damage software without restrictions, where people work (nearly) for free just to programm great software to give it to the public. Every technical interested person (I'd have called it hacker..) can do so much with free sources, and every only semi-professional knows that. So why should skilled (are they skilled?) programmers like to damage their open and free source of source-codes and complete software?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 01:41:41 pm »
Why are they bad? I just meant someone, who can deal professionally with computers, with hacker, of course there are 'good' and 'bad' ones. But why? What's the motivation of crackers to damage free software systems? I understand how to be against commercial software, for example because of a dislike for restrictions of licenses. But what motivates people to damage software without restrictions, where people work (nearly) for free just to programm great software to give it to the public. Every technical interested person (I'd have called it hacker..) can do so much with free sources, and every only semi-professional knows that. So why should skilled (are they skilled?) programmers like to damage their open and free source of source-codes and complete software?

Well, IMHO there could be several reasons. For example, I develop an open source tool, but people do not like it. They like another tool (that does the same or quite as mine). As I am bad enough I try to damage that tool (e.g., by speaking bad of it in its and other forums, by cracking its server), so people will use mine instead (or this is what I thought).

You can also see this in a more general way. Why some people create viruses and other bad beasts?

Anyway, your questions could start an ethical/social/philosophical discussion which I am not sure it would be good in the installation subforum :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:51:44 pm »
Those are not hackers, those are sociopaths. None different from spraypainters, except that they often make profit from it and do damage on a much greater scale.
They probably would not even understand how much damage they really cause, even if they cared.

Things like hacking(1), spamming, phishing (call them what you like) not only cost billions, they also are yet another welcome pretext to take away the cititzen's freedom (terror being the main pretext, of course).

It is you who is going to pay the bill for the stupidity and the ignorance of these people. It is your money that is being burnt, and it is your freedom that is being taken away - for your best, of course.
We've been there 65 years ago, and we're rapidly moving there again.

(1)in the terms commonly used by the newspapers
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

ro.nau

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 02:10:07 pm »
[...]
Anyway, your questions could start an ethical/social/philosophical discussion which I am not sure it would be good in the installation subforum :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Oh, yes.. it's still the subforum. So then, I'll go on reading the C::B plugin headers and the Wiki sample. :)
Thanks for your fast replies!

ro.nau

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 02:20:25 pm »
Those are not hackers, those are sociopaths. None different from spraypainters, except that they often make profit from it and do damage on a much greater scale.
They probably would not even understand how much damage they really cause, even if they cared.

Things like hacking(1), spamming, phishing (call them what you like) not only cost billions, they also are yet another welcome pretext to take away the cititzen's freedom (terror being the main pretext, of course).

It is you who is going to pay the bill for the stupidity and the ignorance of these people. It is your money that is being burnt, and it is your freedom that is being taken away - for your best, of course.

We've been there 65 years ago, and we're rapidly moving there again.

(1)in the terms commonly used by the newspapers

Yes, that's the direction I worry about! I see you're also from Germany, is the word hacker maybe only here commonly generally negatively used? (And is this sentence actually correct? :) )
I can at least understand hackers hacking commercial projects, but I don't think it's right. While I cannot understand how hackers can hack free software, there is no ideology recognizable in their acts and the advantages of these free projects are for hackers so obvious!
I don't think all bad hackers are sociopaths, isn't it possible that lots of them are simply uninformed? That they do neither know about the results of their acts nor about more useful use of their skill and time?

Ps.: If even a admin...

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 02:30:40 pm »
Those are not hackers, those are spam bots.

And the popular motives are (from Wikipedia):
    * Breaching experiments, to see what one can do without punishment.
    * Scorn or dislike for a project, expressed by attempts to sabotage or damage it.
    * A desire to annoy or inconvenience other members, often for personal or political reasons.
    * A distraction from something in a person's life, or as a way to vent real-life or wiki frustration.
    * A sense of being cool, since they may attract attention on the project.
    * Vanity or vainglory, editing articles about oneself or related to oneself.
    * The motive for spam is typically monetary compensation or increased traffic to a website owned or participated in by the vandal.
    * Rivalries between groups are one of the more common motives for vandalism. Users vandalize the pages of long-standing rivals or of opponents in upcoming events.
    * Plain human stupidity, which is said to be infinite.

But here are the solutions to prevent this and have some degree of freedom again: :)

On the CodeBlocks Wiki:
* Using CAPTCHA for user registration: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Captcha_extensions
* Using the spam blacklist: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spam_blacklist
* Using filters from Spam Filter: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spam_Filter

I don't know if the forum is getting spammed, but if so, there are solutions for SMF too.

Please discuss how to solve the issue instead of discuss if spam is ethical or whatever. :evil: