Author Topic: ubuntu C::B questions  (Read 18165 times)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: ubuntu C::B questions
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 04:41:12 pm »
C::B full rebuild (added "-O2 -ffast-math" in project to match make options):

Didn't watch the compile options close enough to see the differences.

takeshimiya

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 09:18:37 pm »
If you're going to test it, just make sure to disable all plugins except the Compiler plugin (CodeCompletion esp. is known to make the build slower).
Your tips amaze me every day anew... :lol:

Taken from Ogre Wiki :wink: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Building_From_Source#GCC_.26_Code::Blocks

Performance Tip: It is suggested to disable Code::Blocks code completion plugin, before opening the Ogre workspace. This workspace contains ~40 projects which will be parsed.

My own tests shows the same, maybe we are missing something?

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:39:49 pm »
Well, they were measuring the time to compile Code::Blocks, not Ogre.
This particular project is parsed in well under 10 seconds on an average PC if you have all parsing options turned on (2-3 seconds otherwise). After that, code completion takes zero CPU and is entirely irrelevant.
If you either run a batch build or wait a moment before hitting the gear (which is usually the case anyway), the build takes the exact same time with or without that plugin.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 09:52:22 pm »
Well, they were measuring the time to compile Code::Blocks, not Ogre.
This particular project is parsed in well under 10 seconds on an average PC if you have all parsing options turned on (2-3 seconds otherwise). After that, code completion takes zero CPU and is entirely irrelevant.
If you either run a batch build or wait a moment before hitting the gear (which is usually the case anyway), the build takes the exact same time with or without that plugin.

Ok, my tests didn't show near the same, but it's because I'm low on RAM, which with CodeCompletion enabled and when parsing a Workspace with more than 1 project, and compiling at the same time rendered the pc in a unuseable state, because of swapping to disk.
This didn't happen with a Workspace with 1 project, neither with CodeCompletion disabled.
Anyways, this was before Rev.2121, I have to test if still happens (don't think so).

So the tale is that to compile the Contribs Workspace I always had to disable the CodeCompletion plugin.
Probably if you have 1GB or more of RAM never noticed any of this.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 09:59:27 pm »
If you are low on physical memory, then precompiled headers are the first thing you want to turn off.
While precompiling the SDK, gcc can easily eat up 350 megabytes of RAM.

Personally, I'd advise to get more RAM though, it's not like RAM is expensive these days. Every ElCheapo PC from a supermarket has a gigabyte these days.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 10:29:50 pm »
If you are low on physical memory, then precompiled headers are the first thing you want to turn off.
While precompiling the SDK, gcc can easily eat up 350 megabytes of RAM.
Good to know, trough I had preffer to disable the plugin rather than disabling precomp headers.

Personally, I'd advise to get more RAM though, it's not like RAM is expensive these days. Every ElCheapo PC from a supermarket has a gigabyte these days.
Look, Germany is currently the most cheap (western) country to buy electronic devices. Most things are even more cheap than in USA.
So, keep in mind that in other countries, the word "not expensive" doesn't apply there.

Here, for example, every "ElCheapo" PC from a supermarket has 128 MB these days, and thanks to the monetary and importing differences, it can be even a lot more expensive than what can be 1GB in Germany.

I wanted to buy one stick more, but my motherboard is very conflictive (advice: never buy a mobo with ATI northbridge chipset).

sethjackson

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 10:34:18 pm »
You can get 1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR400 at newegg for $77.55 US. You have to pay extra for shipping...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141307

takeshimiya

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:18 pm »
You can get 1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR400 at newegg for $77.55 US. You have to pay extra for shipping...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141307
Thanks, but here $77.55 US isn't the definition of "cheap".
If you account that the currency here is almost 1US$ = 3,10$ (or 1€ = almost 4$), and without accounting shipping, it would be something like ($77.55*3,10)*2, so it would cost $480. And that without accounting shipping.
And here the salaries are simmilar in number (ie. typical salary there is 800US$, and typical salary here is 800$).

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

sethjackson

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 10:44:40 pm »
 :lol: I was meaning for us USA ppl Takeshi.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 10:46:14 pm »
Look, Germany is currently the most cheap (western) country to buy electronic devices. Most things are even more cheap than in USA.
That proves that you have never been anywhere near Germany... :lol:
Hardware is at least 25% more expensive than in the USA.

For example a 512 MB 533 Mhz Kingston DDR2 ValueRAM DIMM costs 59-69 dollars in the USA.
In Germany, the exact same DIMM costs 69-89 Euros. 1 Euro = 1.2 dollars.

Nevertheless, if someone intends to develop software, that's a price one has to pay. You just can't do any serious development on a 128 MB machine, unless your project is entirely trivial. Compilers eat RAM like candy...

sethjackson

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 10:48:02 pm »
Compilers eat RAM like candy...
It is a fact of life, but I hate it.  :P

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 10:51:59 pm »
Compilers eat RAM like candy...
It is a fact of life, but I hate it.  :P

Or you can try with distributed compilation and so on :).

Best wishes,
Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 11:01:14 pm »
That proves that you have never been anywhere near Germany... :lol:
Hardware is at least 25% more expensive than in the USA.

For example a 512 MB 533 Mhz Kingston DDR2 ValueRAM DIMM costs 59-69 dollars in the USA.
In Germany, the exact same DIMM costs 69-89 Euros. 1 Euro = 1.2 dollars.
You're right, no money to go near Germany, but that's from articles I've read and comparisons about electronic devices. Maybe it doesn't applies to computer devices, only electronic devices.

Nevertheless, if someone intends to develop software, that's a price one has to pay. You just can't do any serious development on a 128 MB machine, unless your project is entirely trivial.
BTW, I have 512MB, but after all the MBs eaten by the shared video card, services (apache, mysql, etc), not a lot of ram is left.
So advice: don't buy a motherboard with an ATI chipset. :?