Author Topic: A Little help for a little french man ... MSDN 's equivalent for CBlocks ???  (Read 21262 times)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I'm really behind the curve [...]
Code::Blocks is based on wxWidgets which is a cross platform C++ GUI framework. So C::B is based on the wxWidgets DLL. To save download bandwidht the DLL has been seperated from the C::B IDE itself. So once you've downloaded the DLL (maybe it's best to place it in the system32 folder, at least on Windows ;-)) you are basically able to run any application that is linked against this library. All nighlys of C::B will, until a new version of wxWidgets is released and C::B is adopted accordingly. You will probably also require the MinGW support library (mingwm10.dll) - in the nightly posts, too - if you haven't MinGW installed.
C::B shifted from wxWidgets 2.6.1 to 2.6.2 after RC2. That's why the nightly (which is BTW typically a Unicode application) will not work with the wxWidgets DLL that ships with RC2. So please - not only because of that - don't mix RC2 with any later version of C::B.
Maybe this clarifies things a little.
With regards, Morten.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:52:40 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

BeerSlinger

I'm really behind the curve [...]
Code::Blocks is based on wxWidgets which is a cross platform C++ GUI framework. So C::B is based on the wxWidgets DLL. To save download bandwidht the DLL has been seperated from the C::B IDE itself. So once you've downloaded the DLL (maybe it's best to place it in the system32 folder, at least on Windows ;-)) you are basically able to run any application that is linked against this library. All nighlys of C::B will, until a new version of wxWidgets is released and C::B is adopted accordingly. You will probably also require the MinGW support library (mingwm10.dll) - in the nightly posts, too - if you haven't MinGW installed.
C::B shifted from wxWidgets 2.6.1 to 2.6.2 after RC2. That's why the nightly (which is BTW typically a Unicode application) will not work with the wxWidgets DLL that ships with RC2. So please - not only because of that - don't mix RC2 with any later version of C::B.
Maybe this clarifies things a little.
With regards, Morten.

Yeah, this is a little fresh to me........Actually, the how I started this was the main download of the 1.0 was installed and then I just raw dumped the update into that file......and the mingwm10.dll was already installed so I didn't have to worry about that......Then actually I didn't put the wxWidgets to System32 file.....I read the error and just dumped it in the main directory of the code::blocks because that was the first path specified in the error....

I just got shook up because i'm not use to doing things manually...

:?

BeerSlinger

I don't mean to be a jerk (because I really must seem that way at this point) but I still don't see an access for the documentation?!?!.......I know with Microsoft if you are in a keyword and hit F1.....help will come up......and if you right click there is no help either........I go to the help menu and the options are "About, Tips and Plugins".....Well that's cool, but About only helps me to help you to find out what the problem is with my distrubution.......Tips are cool but just over the software usage....and plugins are stuff that is't even relivent to what i'm looking for.......

So where is the help? Maybe i'm just a MSVC++ spoon feed MSDN crybaby but I learn from that stuff......I'm just getting back in to C++ so this really would be helpfull....Because i'm not a programming newbie but I have only had two college classes over C++ and they were both bad so my ambitions are quite high in compairison....

If there isn't a sufficent programming guide i'm willing to help for the next guy.....but I wouldn't press and complain if I wasn't almost completely sold on what you guys are doing....because just the function of this software has been unreal since the update. Up to this point Code::Blocks has done almost everything I have wanted or could hope for so I believe in what your doing...

But I'm a little boggled on this...

takeshimiya

CTRL + RightButtonMouse.
You need a Nightly Build, it will not work on CodeBlocks 1.0 RC2.

BeerSlinger

CTRL + RightButtonMouse.
You need a Nightly Build, it will not work on CodeBlocks 1.0 RC2.

I think your missing the point (because I did follow your email, and I have yesterday's build)........I'm now finding out that i'm complaining because code::blocks is better than this......it maybe a cool feature but seems to me that something better can be done...or maybe i'm just and idealist...

But I have MSDN and I frequent Google so much more then I would like to admit.....

Maybe i'm just expecting too much but it seems like a software that is so advanced would have a good documentation system.....

I'm mostly saying this out of concern rather than self interest.......because i really want to help....instead of complain.....

Giving into Microsoft is too easy........I've found.......

takeshimiya

Ok, you might want to read my research on embedding help on C::B here: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Research_on_doing_a_Plug-in_for_embedded_help_in_CB

BeerSlinger

Ok, you might want to read my research on embedding help on C::B here: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Research_on_doing_a_Plug-in_for_embedded_help_in_CB

Oh.......that gave me a moment of pause........now I understand......... :(

But that does raise a question (at least to me), take in mind, I don't know what the C::B resources are but it would seem that you didn't address in your research another obvious option.

Now, please remember that i'm still just starting back into C++ so I'm not quite sure how to tell you this because in this area I only know VB so there will be a bit of a language gap. But if wxHTML doesn't work efficently, then why not just skip the xCHM format all together and go to an external SHELL(sorry, about the VB reference) command and taylor the address to the Keyword then have the infomation on the C::B site?

I know that a browser launch is a little slow, but it would seem efficent to me considering that there would be one main hub for information which would increase accuracy in the information....

Or is this just an undesireable option?

takeshimiya

But that does raise a question (at least to me), take in mind, I don't know what the C::B resources are but it would seem that you didn't address in your research another obvious option.

Now, please remember that i'm still just starting back into C++ so I'm not quite sure how to tell you this because in this area I only know VB so there will be a bit of a language gap. But if wxHTML doesn't work efficently, then why not just skip the xCHM format all together and go to an external SHELL(sorry, about the VB reference) command and taylor the address to the Keyword then have the infomation on the C::B site?

I know that a browser launch is a little slow, but it would seem efficent to me considering that there would be one main hub for information which would increase accuracy in the information....

Because that's not "embedded help", that's external help.
And indeed it's another option, which is exactly what C::B haves currently, called "Help Plugin", and it's that what it does.

Also, the problem of having "external help" is that sometimes (most of times), there isn't any program installed on some systems to open some of the formats (usually not the case with HTML, but yes with CHM, DevHelp, HTB, PDF, Man pages, Info manuals, etc).

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

BeerSlinger

And indeed it's another option, which is exactly what C::B haves currently, called "Help Plugin", and it's that what it does.

Also, the problem of having "external help" is that sometimes (most of times), there isn't any program installed on some systems to open some of the formats (usually not the case with HTML, but yes with CHM, DevHelp, HTB, PDF, Man pages, Info manuals, etc).

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

Well, I knew it wasn't embedded, I was just trying to find something else other then sheleping around on the internet or exclusively using MSDN….because I have already found Microsoft code that works in MSVC++ but not C::B with some of the macros and I was afraid that it was going to get even worse with MFC. Also, it seems to me that some of the more complex code is more difficult to find…

For some reason, I don’t have a help plugin installed…Could you direct me to it?

takeshimiya

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

Well, I knew it wasn't embedded, I was just trying to find something else other then sheleping around on the internet or exclusively using MSDN….because I have already found Microsoft code that works in MSVC++ but not C::B with some of the macros and I was afraid that it was going to get even worse with MFC. Also, it seems to me that some of the more complex code is more difficult to find…

For some reason, I don’t have a help plugin installed…Could you direct me to it?

It isn't available separately.

It's included in the 1.0RC2 installer, or in the latest nightly builds here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0

BeerSlinger

Regards,
Takeshi Miya

It isn't available separately.

It's included in the 1.0RC2 installer, or in the latest nightly builds here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0

Ok, I wasn't sure if was installed automatically or not, I updated from the March 02 to the March 03.....and I now even see that its even installed on the help=>Plugins=>help Plugin and is selected in the plugin manager......but I don't seem to see where the plugin is placed......

Also, I see that the wxmsw.dll wasn't updated......how often does that happen?

takeshimiya

Ok, I wasn't sure if was installed automatically or not, I updated from the March 02 to the March 03.....and I now even see that its even installed on the help=>Plugins=>help Plugin and is selected in the plugin manager......but I don't seem to see where the plugin is placed......
It's in menu Settings->Environment->Help files (it's at the end).

Most likely, every 5 months or so, which is when wxWidgets team releases a new minor revision.

BeerSlinger

It's in menu Settings->Environment->Help files (it's at the end).

Most likely, every 5 months or so, which is when wxWidgets team releases a new minor revision.

Man, I would breezed over that the other day.......I guess that I really didn't realize what it was.....

Do it yourself help files......Interesting........not what I expected but interesting.....