Author Topic: wxSmith  (Read 12105 times)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
wxSmith
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:10:28 am »
   First, and for most, great job!   I like what I see.  I am using rev 2079.

I have a question though.  It's been a while since I last ran linux, but I know on Windows it's pretty standard to have the cancel button on the far right.  How come it's on the left (in other worse first)?  That has caused me to cancel more than once.

The other question has to do with menus.  What are my options when it comes to menus?

Thank you, and keep up the great work.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: wxSmith
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:42:21 am »
Byo should be using the "StdDialogButtonSizer" for any dialogs.  This will make sure the cancel/ok buttons are in the right place for any platform.  I can't say if he is or isn't.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:27:14 pm »

Thx  :D

I have a question though.  It's been a while since I last ran linux, but I know on Windows it's pretty standard to have the cancel button on the far right.  How come it's on the left (in other worse first)?  That has caused me to cancel more than once.

Ok, What Windowses Do You mean? It's should not be hard to update, especially with wxStdDialogButtonSizer proposed by Game_Ender :)

The other question has to do with menus.  What are my options when it comes to menus?

Currently wxSmith doesn't support menus yet. But I'll add support for it, but after first solid-stable version of wxSmith is done :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:58:13 pm »
Currently wxSmith doesn't support menus yet. But I'll add support for it, but after first solid-stable version of wxSmith is done :)
Can't wait until we get there! Anyway... take your time. Your work is really (!) appreciated.
Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:01:36 pm »

I have a question though.  It's been a while since I last ran linux, but I know on Windows it's pretty standard to have the cancel button on the far right.  How come it's on the left (in other worse first)?

It's the GUI's fault (GNOME). People have been telling that to the GNOME designers for ages. Or do you mean the cancel button's on the left for MS-Windows? :?

sethjackson

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:45 pm »

I have a question though.  It's been a while since I last ran linux, but I know on Windows it's pretty standard to have the cancel button on the far right.  How come it's on the left (in other worse first)?

It's the GUI's fault (GNOME). We've been telling that to the GNOME designers for ages.

I think GNOME's UI looks like  Windows 95. :lol: Too bad they (GNOME UI designers) can't learn (a little bit at least) from KDE's UI.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:33:00 pm »
I think GNOME's UI looks like  Windows 95. :lol: Too bad they (GNOME UI designers) can't learn (a little bit at least) from KDE's UI.

Try a different skin than the default.  You can even make KDE look like GNOME if you skin it properly.  If anything I would take GNOME to task on the quest to take away options in the name of usability, not looks.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 04:12:15 am »

It's the GUI's fault (GNOME). People have been telling that to the GNOME designers for ages. Or do you mean the cancel button's on the left for MS-Windows? :?

On windows, the cancel is appearing on the left.  It's irrating because I go to select ok without thinking (because it's a habit) and I end up canceling.  The first couple of times I couldn't figure out what was going on.  Then I looked more closely at the ok/cancel buttons & their locations.

On an offtopic side note, how did I get bumped down to newcomer?  I was a regular.   How does that work?  Is it based off of posts, and it gets adjusted when posts are removed?
jmccay
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:13:56 am by jmccay »

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 08:41:49 am »
On windows, the cancel is appearing on the left

As mentioned, byo should be using wxStdDialogButtonSizer but apparently he isn't. I believe he will fix this though :)

On an offtopic side note, how did I get bumped down to newcomer?  I was a regular.   How does that work?  Is it based off of posts, and it gets adjusted when posts are removed?

The old posts count that determined a user's "class" were too low (set from the begining of these forums. They were just adjusted to more reasonable levels, based on current user-count :).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:14:25 am »
As mentioned, byo should be using wxStdDialogButtonSizer but apparently he isn't. I believe he will fix this though :)

Ok, I'll surely use wxStdDialogButtonSizer but I need some time :)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:28:05 am »
I guess I was just wondering how I went from 3 stars to one star.  That's all.

jmccay

Offline srini2174

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 08:56:33 am »
Hi
    I am new to C::B and wxSmith.  It is a great tool.  Previously I was using wxFormBuilder for my GUI design.  But now I have started using C::B and WxSmith.  One thing which I miss badly is the support for menubar, menuitems and toolbars.  It would be a great tool one this is added.

Regards,
Srinivasan.B

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 10:10:23 pm »
Ok, no problem, but it will take some time.

Currently I finish redesign and recode of wxSmith and it will take one or two weeks before it's done and before I start coding new features :)

So all I can do now is to ask for Your patience ;)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:43:42 am »
No problem.  Patience is becoming my second talent.  keep up the good works.
jmccay