Author Topic: Does Code::Blocks comes with GUI design tools or plugins ?  (Read 46785 times)

raha

Does Code::Blocks comes with GUI design tools or plugins ?
« on: February 26, 2006, 01:35:42 am »
Hi,

I think Code::Blocks is great, but the only problem that almost all the IDEs on Linux have is the lack of good GUI design tools. You can design your GUI with other tools like Glide, etc but We still dont have something powerful like IDEs for Java (NetBean, etc). Is it the problem with Linux or it doesnt worth the affort ?

Programming itself is complex these days and coding GUI makes it even more complex. I enjoyed programming Borland C++ 6 on Win and even Visual studio Express C++ (Free one).

Any way, I just wanted to know is there any plugin or if not, do you plan to make one ?     I have asked the same question from MonoDevelop IDE developers as well but they seems very confused.

Thank you.

takeshimiya

Re: Does Code::Blocks comes with GUI design tools or plugins ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:42:53 am »
Yes, there is a WIP GUI plugin for Code::Blocks.
It is for a cross-platform native-widgets GUI toolkit library called wxWidgets, the same Code::Blocks uses itself.

The RAD plugin for Code::Blocks is called wxSmith. Here is an screenshot.

raha

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:56:23 am »
Thank you for fast reply.
I think it looks great (screenshot). Is it available for Linux too ? or its only Windows ?
I develope under Linux.

Thanks

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 03:12:47 am »
Thank you for fast reply.
I think it looks great (screenshot). Is it available for Linux too ? or its only Windows ?

All C::B plugins are available to both Linux and Windows.
AFAIK, the CodeCompletion and wxSmith plugins are Work In Progress, and not very stable on linux at the moment.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 03:24:15 am »
There is a free one called ResEd for windows resrouces. I use it. Works well, I just ad dit to my tool menu. You brought up windows and linux, so I'm not sure what exactly you want?  :?
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:30:06 am »
You brought up windows and linux, so I'm not sure what exactly you want?  :?
I think raha is asking for RADs, not RES editors.

raha

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 09:14:12 pm »
Hi,

Yes you are right, I made a confusion there.
I use borland on Windows but I wanted something powerful on Linux with GUI design tools, (Similare to Kylix but Kylix is stoped).
I then found C::B and I liked the interface but there was no GUI tools.
Last night I found Eclipse (I think it has C++ and GUI design too). but I defenetly prefer to use simpler IDE like C::B but it lack GUI :(

I think if somebody push the development of  GUI plugins faster then many people will use it.

Thanks

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 09:24:57 pm »
I then found C::B and I liked the interface but there was no GUI tools.

I am not sure to fully understand you, but C::B has wxSmith :) as Takeshi Miya mentioned above. It is WIP, but it works relatively well (at least in Windows).

Last night I found Eclipse (I think it has C++ and GUI design too). but I defenetly prefer to use simpler IDE like C::B but it lack GUI :(

Eclipse has a GUI design tool, but AFAIK it is for Java and not C++.

Anyway, C::B does not lack GUI.

I think if somebody push the development of  GUI plugins faster then many people will use it.

Byo and other devs are working with wxSmith RAD plugin. They work really good and fast, so you should be a bit patient :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 09:43:53 pm »
If you are doing more than hobby developement you might want to look at DialogBlocks or wxDesigner which are both as cross platform as wxWidgets and more so than Code::Blocks at the moment.  They are both only GUI design tools not complete IDEs.  I am sure wxSmith will reach there level but currently it is not there.  There are some other open source wxWidgets dialog tools but none I tried reached the level of DialogBlocks or wxDesigner.  Both of those offer free trial versions so there is no harm in giving them a shot.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 09:53:39 pm »
Hello,

You might want to give a look at the topic wxSmith and it's amazing improvement! :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:20:03 pm »
wxSmith should work on Linux (compiled with --enable-contrib), but I've noticed some really annoying bugs.

But good news - wxSmith is currently under havy rebuild and I tried to do my best to make it much more stable. But it will just take some time before rebuiding is done

raha

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 09:17:11 pm »
When do you think this plugin will be finished ?

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 10:01:56 pm »
I'll try to do some stable (but maybe not as much user-friendly as I would like to) version before C::B 1.0 final is released, so it will be in month or two (I read it somewhere bud don't remember where). But I can not promise since I've got also MA Thesis to finish :) And it will have higher priority of course :)