Author Topic: Error message on first use......Couldn't create the project directory  (Read 5621 times)

Offline KMdS

• Single posting newcomer
Hey all,
I'm new to Codeblocks but not a new programmer. I believe this may be an installation dependency that is not set up properly. Hopefully it is something someone here knows something about or has experienced. I am installing code::blocks on a Rasperry Pi4 and am looking to develop some fun things for the platform. I hope you will forgive me but it took several days to get the registration for the form here a week to get done and my notes are not available to me so going off my memory about a few things.

I twsted the installation of code::block by creating the standard "Hello World" program and found that I received an error stating that code::blocks was unable to create the project directory upon the creation of the project.....Couldn't create the project directory:hello world 1/hello world/

I did receive a popup notice when installing code::block stating that the compiler master directory did not have a defined path...or something to that effect.... Might that have something to do with the difficulty, and if so, what exactly does that mean? Any help would be appreciated. My thanks beforehand.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Error message on first use......Couldn't create the project directory
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »
Without exact error messages, this is a shot in the blue....

I twsted the installation of code::block by creating the standard "Hello World" program and found that I received an error stating that code::blocks was unable to create the project directory upon the creation of the project.....Couldn't create the project directory:hello world 1/hello world/
Are you sure you have write access to the project directory?

I did receive a popup notice when installing code::block stating that the compiler master directory did not have a defined path..
Have you installed a compiler?

Offline KMdS

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:29:29 am »
Hey Blue....
That was my thouhgt today as I was pondering the situation. From my understanding the pi comes with gcc? I best check on that in any case. It'd be silly to look for some complicated solution just to find there is no compiler to begin with....

I'll let you know shortly. Thanks

Offline KMdS

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:22:21 am »
Ok, gcc v8.3 is already set up on the pi, so I played around a bit thinking outside the box I am familiar with....windows VS...and i figured it out. It is not VS and not winows, lol. I've got it going now, but I'm sure there will be similar moments I will have to go through to get use to the linux interface. Thanks for the help anyway.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 09:33:49 am »
Can you elaborate what was wrong? So others with the same problem can find a solution

Offline KMdS

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 08:36:45 am »
Sure thing Blue, makes sense to post what the issue was....

Make sure the project folder for your project is eplicitly placed within the /home/pi/ directory by including this as part of the path to the desired directory you are creating, otherwise you get a permission error that causes the returned error "Couldn't create the project directory:'the name of the  directory given for the project'". You can also use the little folder select button to select the base directory and append the name of any specific folder you are creating the the path returned as well. Hope that makes sense, it's just a difference in implementation between windows and linux that I'm just getting used to.

You can't make changes to any files outside of the /home/pi directory without explicit administrator privileges which are generally available only from within the terminal using the "sudo" command.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:43:23 am by KMdS »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:03 am »
Thank you