Author Topic: Debug windows will not stay visible - Windows 10  (Read 8080 times)

Offline falams

• Single posting newcomer
Debug windows will not stay visible - Windows 10
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:16:35 am »
Windows 10

When I run debug, debug windows like Breakpoints and Watches disappear, regardless if they are docked or not. If I enable them again they are working as expected, but each time I continue they do a little jump then go away. I haven't used this program in years, but I don't remember this problem.

Also on Windows 10, when the program is starting up the window jumps a lot in the toolbar as if it is opening and closing real fast.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Debug windows will not stay visible - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:47:12 am »
The jumping effect is fixed in the nightlies, but the fix was not applied to the release.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:35:45 pm »
When I run debug, debug windows like Breakpoints and Watches disappear, regardless if they are docked or not. If I enable them again they are working as expected, but each time I continue they do a little jump then go away. I haven't used this program in years, but I don't remember this problem.
Is it possible to record this as a video?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline falams

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:28:22 pm »
The windows still disappear, but in the nightly the shaking is gone both on the toolbar during start up and inside codeblocks when the windows disappear (sorry I missed that the shaking was fixed in the nightly).

Anyways, I could be dumb and not understand why the debug windows are closing.

Here's the video (quality isn't great).

https://streamable.com/rhmlek
Again, the program works fine, I just can't get those windows to hang around. At least in the nightly they just insta-vanish now instead of bobbling out :-P.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:30:16 pm by falams »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 01:35:28 am »
The first disappearance is expected.
There are 3 modes (they are called perspectives, see View -> Perspectives):
1. editing full toolbars
2. editing minimal
3. debugging

When starting to debug something C::B switches to the debugging perspective. There is an option in Settings -> Debugger -> Common -> Perspective for this. Unfortunately there is no option to disable the switch :(
So you have one layout of the windows for editing and one for debugging.
Once you're in the debugging perspective and then setup everything it should be preserved next time you start C::B.

But you should be able to save your settings. Sometimes saving settings doesn't work for various reasons.
Are you able to make a change to a setting that lasts between sessions?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline falams

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 12:06:39 pm »
Yes, they are saving between sessions. I just didn't understand the default behavior of the GUI.

Thanks for the help, I would of suffered the misunderstanding for a long while.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:40:37 am »
Is it working correctly then?
Is it usable/useful for you after you've setup your layouts?

Offline falams

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 07:21:53 am »
It is. I had to switch to Ubuntu though because win10 couldn't have a fully dark theme. But yes, the nightly is fully functional on windows 10 without any of the bugs I mentioned and worked perfectly for me :-)

Hey man, this program is pretty nice dude. I used it years back in my 20's around ~2005 (I'm old now, in my 40's), but I don't remember it being this good. I'm not sure why it's not more popular, so if there's anything I can do to help it's popularity let me know. I mean it comes up on search engines now, so don't get me wrong there, but search results are now flooded with VSCode/Atom or other Electron based IDE's. I use VSCode for platform.io only as it's kind of the only go to in "easy" embedded, but people are doing full on C++ projects in that as well, which it is crazy slow at... crazy slow.

Maybe a kickstarter'ish thingy going towards advertising or something, I guess it depends on just how popular you want it.

But yeh man, THANK YOU!

Offline AlexCameron

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 12:18:41 pm »
I'd recommend to reach out to the software's support forum or community for assistance.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 01:07:00 pm »
An stupid bot replying to itself. I will wait for the spam links and report.

EDIT: Spam link added by stupid bot MaxxKingston reported to moderator 20230908 13:11, deleted 13:53.
Waiting for AlexCameron...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 01:55:09 pm by Miguel Gimenez »