Author Topic: Installing and Running on MacOS Catalina - So Far So Good  (Read 2929 times)

Offline dwnylen

• Single posting newcomer
Installing and Running on MacOS Catalina - So Far So Good
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:11:06 am »
I'm experimenting with Code::Blocks with the idea of using it for Raspberry Pi development, and I thought I'd try it out on my Mac first. Since the current version doesn't work well on the Mac I thought I'd give some running commentary on my progress.

1. Starting with the linux build instructions.
2. Installed autoconf and automake using Homebrew
3. Since wxWidgets isn't installed system-wide, the aclocal path had to be updated -- the wxWidgets .m4 file is in the root of the wxWidgets directory.
4. Code::Blocks builds, installs to /usr/local, and runs without a hitch.
5a. No project templates. It looks like the Mac build expects plugins to be in ~/Library/Application Support/codeblocks/...
5b. Symlinked the Library 'plugins' folder to the one in /usr/local. Now I have project templates.
6. Made a simple "Hello World!" console project.
7. Code::Blocks runs clang, but generates no output and reports "GetCFStringRef, i is not the right type". On the plus side, it properly created the build directories.

And that's where I am so far. I'll post further developments as I work through problems.

Offline dwnylen

Re: Installing and Running on MacOS Catalina - So Far So Good
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:40:00 am »
A bit of new information:

Both GCC and Clang give the same results: it seems the build process is hanging somewhere, which is causing the project settings and whatnot to be disabled. Aborting the build doesn't work, and quitting Code::Blocks requires a force quit, so my guess is something in the compiler plugin is locking up for reasons, potentially related to the "GetCFStringRef, i is not the right type" message.

But I got my syntax colors set up!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:18:08 pm »
The idea on macOS is that you install in some location and then run the bundle.sh file in the build folder which will make you an application bundle.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dwnylen

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:21:19 pm »
Thanks for the tip. After disabling the spellchecker copy in bundle.sh I get an app bundle that seems to work the same as the manual setup I had. The compiler still locks up, however.

I may abandon the Mac side as a non-starter and give it a whirl on the Raspberry Pi later.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:48 am »
Mac is generally not a great platform for open source apps without budget...