Author Topic: I try to use other compilers than mingw32  (Read 6080 times)

IwanBob

I try to use other compilers than mingw32
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:55:45 am »
Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question. And probably its kind of RTFM.
Until now I have used the mingw32 compiler to develop wxWidgtes applications.
Before beeing introduced to C::B I used the OpenWatcom compiler. I changed to C::B because the Open Watcom does not come with a good IDE. Now I would like to use the Open Watcom again with the C::B IDE but some how I am not able to get to work.
I read some posts about this issue here in the forum but somehow this did not really help me.
I guess its my skills that are the problem and I guess other users have the same problem, so I wonder if it is possible if you could publish a Step by Step instruction how to configure C::B to use the open Watcom?
I am thinking of some kind of instuction in wich is exactly shown wich include paths to set, wich custom variables to set and where to copy wich files to make it work.
Especially information about configuring the Compilers for wxWidgets would be very usefull.
I could find a lot of config informations about the GCC but for other compilers I did not find (or maybe understand) information.

Thanks in advance, and keep the good work going on C::B

IwanBob

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: I try to use other compilers than mingw32
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:07:46 pm »
Hello,

AFAIK there is not a step-by-step OpenWatcom compilar installation. Anyway, did you try to look at the C::B wiki?

Useful would be information on which C::B version are you using and which are the problems that you have?

Personally, I have played a bit with OpenWatcom, but I did like it too much. I prefer to use GCC and may be another compiler (it is always good to compile with 2 or more compilers) :).

Michael

IwanBob

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
oops I forgot to tell you guys about the version.
I am using C::B Version 1.0 RC2
I think I already read the C::B Wiki but to make sure that this issue is not a typical RTFM I will go and study the Wiki again ;-)
Sure the gcc is fine and works good. I just like to use some alternate ways to develop.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:19 pm »
I would advice you to switch to the latest nightly build as first.

I have found this topic in the forum. May be it can be of some help.

You can try to search in the forum for other useful posts.

I too, I like to try different compilers and alternative way to develop :D.

Anyway, I have found a website about Quick&dirty C++ language conformance tests. You can look at here. OpenWatcom seems not to be too conformant :(.

Michael

IwanBob

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 12:48:31 am »
Thanks Michael,

it seems that OpenWatcom works after changing to nightly build. At least it does with a console application without any Problems. I have not tried if I can compile wxWidgets yet, but I will try soon.

After installing the newest nightly and used gcc I got a warning and an error message:

-------------- Build: default in ShutMeDown ---------------
Precompiling header: wx_pch.h
cc1plus.exe: warning: wx_pch.h.gch: created and used with differing settings of `-maccumulate-outgoing-args'
wx_pch.h:1: fatal error: can't create precompiled header wx_pch.h.gch\default_wx_pch.h.gch: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 7 seconds)
1 errors, 1 warnings

Any hint for that? (I admit I have not searched the forum yet  :oops: , its getting late, but I promise I will do tomorrow)

regards

Ruediger

IwanBob

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:36:46 pm »
Ok I found the cause.
It seems like that I have to delete the wx_pch.h.gch from my old project directory
When building the project again a directory called wx_pch.h.gch will be created inside the project directory. There I can find the new wx_pch.h.gch and everything works fine.

Thanks and regards

Ruediger

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:46:13 pm »
I have not tried if I can compile wxWidgets yet, but I will try soon.

There is a makefile for Watcom C++ 10.6/11 and OpenWatcom. Theoretically, it should not be too difficult:

wmake -f makefile.wat

Anyway, check if there are other parameters to set (e.g., for unicode) and also take a look at \docs\msw\install.txt.

Michael

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 12:46:59 pm »
fyi : very recently open watcom 1.4 was released

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 12:57:45 pm »
fyi : very recently open watcom 1.4 was released

The "List of changes in C/C++ 1.4" is quite remarkable :).

Michael

Offline severach

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 02:25:05 am »
Openwatcom 1.4 fixed a DLL that wouldn't load in Windows 98. A little TLC and OpenWatcom can become a nice compiler again. There's source code a-plenty to test with.

Though my post here is about compiling DLLs, similar alterations may fix your ability to compile executables.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=946.0

IwanBob

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:02 pm »
Thanks everybody for your great feedback. But sorry I did not hove time to try all this.
I hope I can try this weekend, anyway thanks all for your effort.

Ruediger