Author Topic: [SOLVED] Edit/Copy no longer works while Cut and Paste do [20.03~1-ubuntu16.04]  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Zener131

• Single posting newcomer
Good morning.

I updated Code::Blocks to 20.03 - actually installed codeblocks and codeblocks-contrib from the PPA on a new machine running Linux Mint.
The goal was to get rid of little boring bugs, notably the keyboard shortcuts not being saved... Now they work but I got a new bug in replacement:

The copy (to clipboard) no longer works, both with standard shortcut Ctrl+C and direct action on the menu Edit/Copy.

The function Paste (text copied from another program) works normally, and the Cut & Paste works normally too, both inside C::B and across programs.

Then the issue actually concerns the function Edit/Copy itself. It makes coding very difficult !

I tried to disable plugins and various options with no success.

I am a bit surprised that nobody else appears to have noticed such an annoyance. Confirmations ? Ideas ?

Thanks & Kind regards.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:14:39 pm by Zener131 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
I cannot reproduce this in a virtual machine.
What happens if you disable the keybinder plugin?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Zener131

Hello.

I just tested with disabling the keybinder (and restarting C::B after every test): it does not change the issue. Fortunately because some shortcuts are very useful...

NB: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V are the standard shortcuts for the clipboard then work the same with keybinder disabled.

Here no change:
- only Copy does not work,
- unless Copy + Paste is done first in the same file, with Copy done through the menu, then the text can be pasted again to another file or even to another program.

Tested on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bits v.3.4.3 - C::B v.20.03~1-ubuntu16.04 (last available).

Regards.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
What?  :o :o :o :o :o

I can reproduce this now.

So the steps are:
1. Start codeblocks
2. make new file
3. type something
4. copy
5. try to paste in another program
6. paste in the same file
7. paste in another program

For me 5 doesn't, but 6 and 7 work. After that if I repeat the steps 2-5 it will work.
Is this the same thing you're seeing?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
What happens if you try the night build from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~fuscated/+archive/ubuntu/codeblocks-nightly ?

Offline Zener131

Hello.

It has something to do with the focus.
If the other program is an editor (like Xed) then its menu Edit has "Paste" grayed when there is nothing ready in the clipboard.

Test #1:
- in new C:B, open a new file, type aaaaaaaaaa then newline
- double-click on aaaaaaaaaaa to select then menu Edit/Copy,
- focus the other editor => nothing to paste, the menu is grayed.

Test #2:
- idem in new C::B open a new file, type aaaaaaaaaaaaaa then newline,
- double-click on aaaaaaaaa to select then menu Edit/Copy,
- just click on the empty line in C::B to focus back the editor pane, do not even try to paste there,
- focus the other editor => now the text can be pasted,
- it can be pasted in C::B too.

I guess there could be some parasite operation in the focus switch that would clear the clipboard...
I think that because recently there was a bug (now fixed) with F2 preventing the diagnose pane to reappear with F2 when the editor pane was focused, and the workaround was to focus the left pane.

Hope it helps.
Regards.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Can you please try the night build from the PPA I've linked?
For some strange reason the final builds have being built against wx2.8. I don't know how this has happened, but it is a fact :(

Offline Zener131

Hello.

I just upgraded from your nightly PPA.

It fixes the clipboard issue.     :D

And all the rest appears to go on working: keybinder saves its settings and F2 brings back the diagnose pane notably.

Thanks a lot !

Best regards.