Author Topic: Codeblocks->wxWidgets project setup questions  (Read 2629 times)

joekel4

Codeblocks->wxWidgets project setup questions
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:52 am »
First Question(s) so please bear with me.
Got Codeblocks setup on Windows 10 machine and have run a test "Hello World" console program and it worked.
Am interested in wxWidgets and saw tutorial to setup wxWidgets project and now I'm confused.
I thought I read somewhere that wxWidgets was at one time part of CodeBlocks hence the next implication.
The fact that there is a dialog box that includes wxWidgets 2.6x, 2.8x, 3.0x, and 3.1x implies to me that these are already installed on my machine but I know I didn't do that. However later I ran into another dialog box asking me to point to the folder where I unpacked it.
Then when I hit next it brings up the Global Variable Editor, read through http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Global_compiler_variables
but the example shown on that page does not show the setting for the wx variable.
Can someone tell me what the base field is looking for?
I've filled in the other fields with what I think it is looking for but not sure.
I'm assuming it is wanting the path to the unpacked include & lib subdirectories.
These are shown in the attached wsWidgets3.jpg
With the next attachment wxWidgets4.jpg, can anybody shed light on what these options mean?
Please tell me if this is documented somewhere.
Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:29:25 am by joekel4 »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Codeblocks->wxWidgets project setup questions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:27:19 am »
I thought I read somewhere that wxWidgets was at one time part of CodeBlocks hence the next implication.
No, the source library to use wxWidgets was never included in codeblocks. CB uses wxWidgets by itself, but you need the header files ecc.. and they are not included. You have to download them by yourself from wxWidgets

There are tons of youtube videos out there that explain the process

The fact that there is a dialog box that includes wxWidgets 2.6x, 2.8x, 3.0x, and 3.1x implies to me that these are already installed on my machine but I know I didn't do that.
nope

but the example shown on that page does not show the setting for the wx variable.
Install wxWidgets, build it with the compiler you use, and point the global base variable for wxWidgets to the wxWidgets directory and you are free to go
Or do not use global variables and point directly to the path in the new project wizard page...

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:29:27 am »
To build wxWidgets for codeblocks go to https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/plat_msw_install.html and follow the "Using plain makefiles:" steps.
I do not know if codeblocks adds the compiler to the path. If you get some error about
Code
mingw32-make not found
You have to add the path to the compiler (probably in the installation directory of codeblocks) to the global PATH variable

joekel4

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 04:31:21 pm »
Thank you!
I'm working on this and will let you know how it goes.