Author Topic: Disable certain compiler access  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
Disable certain compiler access
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:50:22 pm »
Alright, I have a controlled development circle where we only use GCC and VC2003 toolkit... My question is, how do I disable access to all the other available compilers? I just want them to only be able to configure GCC and VC2003 toolkit...

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: Disable certain compiler access
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:23:31 pm »
you can't - but the don't hurt - let them be in the list and don't select them.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:26:29 pm »
If you absolutely want to do that, then you can modify the compiler plugin. Remove everything associated with other compilers and recompile.
However, do not ask for help and guidance on such an endeavour because you will get none, this is outright silly...

You cannot prevent people from using another compiler if they really want to, except if you force them to work on a thin client without internet access.
In every other case, they can always download a Zip file from the internet. They can just unpack a full version of Code::Blocks (or any other IDE) and any compiler they wish.
Maybe you can prevent them from installing Visual Studio by not granting them admin privilegues, but Code::Blocks will install and run without admin privilegues just fine.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 03:15:51 pm »
The only situation where this would make sense it's in a "not confuse the newbie".

On the other hand, you could wait for the "compiler settings travel to xml" feature (coming soon?), which will make almost as easy to add/edit/remove any compiler as easy as it's now with the lexers.

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:42:55 pm »
On the other hand, you could wait for the "compiler settings travel to xml" feature (coming soon?), which will make almost as easy to add/edit/remove any compiler as easy as it's now with the lexers.

How soon I wonder?

Offline Conan Kudo

• Enano CMS Project
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 01:25:22 am »
Well, the computers have no internet access, I build the installer to implement certain features right away so I do not have to...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 01:39:23 am by Pharaoh Atem »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 12:26:17 pm »
Well, the computers have no internet access, I build the installer to implement certain features right away so I do not have to...
If the computers have no internet access, then the solution is very easy:

Don't install other compilers and deny access to the CDROM.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Conan Kudo

• Enano CMS Project
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 02:05:01 pm »
These computers do not have Windows NT!!! I would have already done that if they did.... I'm not paying for an upgrade that won't give me many benefits, the computers all have Windows 98SE...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 02:31:56 pm »
These computers do not have Windows NT!!!
Well, TweakUI will hide the CDROM drive for you on Windows 98, too.
Or run Windows98 inside VMWare on a non-persistent FS...

Anyway, I really wonder what your problem is. Just tell your users not to install their own software.

If you use an operating system without user accounts and access control, and you cannot trust your users, then the possibility that they might use a different compiler will be the least of your problems...

Offline Conan Kudo

• Enano CMS Project
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »
I have blocked everything except localFS.... Anyway, I guess I will have to wait for XML to be the configuration style...... How hard would it be to implement it?
TweakUI cannot block CDROM access, it can only hide it from Explorer.... going into command prompt or typing in a pathname still works, regardless...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 03:05:15 pm by Pharaoh Atem »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 03:34:03 pm »
TweakUI cannot block CDROM access, it can only hide it from Explorer.... going into command prompt or typing in a pathname still works, regardless...
At least command prompt can be disabled in the registry. The pathname issue should not be too much of a hindrance. You can also obfuscate things a bit by assinging an unusual drive letter (M: or X:). This is still far from being safe, but it is as good as you can do (apart from disabling the CDROM in the BIOS).

Anyway, I guess I will have to wait for XML to be the configuration style...... How hard would it be to implement it?
11 days exactly.
But your problem is not one of configuration. Your problem is that you are not using the proper tools. Windows 98 is not suitable for an untrusted installation. Someone using another compiler is absolutely the smallest problem that you will encounter. You should really abandon that idea and use an operating system that allows you to properly restrict access rights.

Offline Conan Kudo

• Enano CMS Project
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 08:28:28 am »
I would if I had the money  :( I gotta work with what I got... I only have ONE NT-based machine, and that is where all the code changes merge at and send back out to the machines with updates on the fly.... (not thru C::B, since my SVN-based system does not work until SVN plugin works)
It is also where the one copy of Visual Studio is.... Windows MCE 2005.... Good development machine, I can say that much...
I just want to turn off the other compilers, so that they do not get confused when they are adding other directories, SDKs, etc.
They tend to put on all the lists, even when I tell them not to... And multicompiling works best on Windows 98 since it uses the least amount of RAM of all the M$ OSes that are still in use today...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:30:39 am by Pharaoh Atem »