Author Topic: I have never seen this error before  (Read 2419 times)

Offline runeight

• Single posting newcomer
I have never seen this error before
« on: April 13, 2020, 07:32:40 pm »
I have been working on a moderately complex app. Up until now all went as normal.

I have attached the text of the error in a snippet.

This happens if I execute. When I debug, however, debugger shows no information, but halts execution. The call stack is visible, but not useful.

The code compiles without errors or warnings of any kind. Death occurs on entry to a c++ constructor. That is, the debugger halts at the definition line for the constructor. I cannot step in any farther than that without the error. Debugger shows that the argument to the constructor is accurate and well formed.

The constructor has been in the code for a long time without errors. So, obviously, something else that was changed has affected it.

Any advice?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: I have never seen this error before
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 07:49:44 pm »
Enable catching exceptions throwing and fix your program.
This is a bug in your program.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline runeight

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:24:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Will do.

Offline runeight

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 02:29:32 am »
I did finally get to the bottom of this. The exception handling was already on and the debugger was catching and stopping. But, the available info was not a help in this case.

After a LOT of digging I discovered that I was setting a string to NULL in a declaration. A fat finger for the iine below it.

Seems like the compiler aught to say something about this, but I'll know what to look for if I ever see that particular message again.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:07:36 am »
There are two modes for catching.
1. catch handler
2. catch the throw statement

If you have the second mode enabled it should tell you which line of the code threw the exception.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]