Author Topic: TDM-Gcc is discontinued  (Read 34925 times)

Offline saidus

• Multiple posting newcomer
TDM-Gcc is discontinued
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:52:20 pm »
Hello  :)
I saw that the TDM-GCC is not up to date (discontinued).
With wich version you plane deliver in the next release of CB.

Thank you.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: TDM-Gcc is discontinued
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:58:33 pm »
mingw-w64 8.1.x or something similar. I don't remember which variant exactly.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:41:25 am »
I can still provide TDM versions of gcc upto gcc-9.2.0 but multilib is broken and has been for some time so no new versions of those untill the bugs get ironed out upstream.
This just means you have to select which bitness the compiler must support 32 or 64 bit.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:53:36 am »
interesting, feel free to give it a try.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 01:21:17 am »
Hi there,

Just popping in to say that I've spun up a new TDM-GCC release and shoved everything into Github. Apologies for the radio silence. I started working on GCC 9.1 last year sporadically and finally got everything in a working state again!

It's still a one-man show but feel free to file issues on Github (https://github.com/jmeubank/tdm-gcc) and I might take a peek more often.

In the years since the last TDM-GCC release, the MSYS2 project has gained continual traction and their recent toolchains function quite well. TDM-GCC does still offer 32-bit and 64-bit compilation as a one-stop shop, and tries *real* hard not to tie you to unwanted DLLs. Use whichever works for you!

Cheers,
John E. / TDM
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 02:29:12 am »
Hi there,

Just popping in to say that I've spun up a new TDM-GCC release and shoved everything into Github. Apologies for the radio silence. I started working on GCC 9.1 last year sporadically and finally got everything in a working state again!

It's still a one-man show but feel free to file issues on Github (https://github.com/jmeubank/tdm-gcc) and I might take a peek more often.

In the years since the last TDM-GCC release, the MSYS2 project has gained continual traction and their recent toolchains function quite well. TDM-GCC does still offer 32-bit and 64-bit compilation as a one-stop shop, and tries *real* hard not to tie you to unwanted DLLs. Use whichever works for you!

Cheers,
John E. / TDM

Hi, John, long time no see. Great work for your new TDM-GCC release!
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 03:34:11 pm »
Cool, ... but ...
I tried to compile wxWidgets 3.1.4 (git) : OK
I tried to compile C::B, svn 11979 with this wxWidgets 3.1.4 (git) : OK
I tried to compile one of my own programs, also using this wxWidgets 3.1.4 (git) : OK
In each case, executable is bigger tha previously, but it's normal because this gcc version has more statically linked parts.

But I had a crash in C::B itself when working on a project :
To obtain this crash :
In my workspace menu, "Properties...", and in the "Build Target" tab, I choosed one of the Build targets, clicked on the "Duplicate" button, accepted the name "copy of ..." and simply clicked on the OK button of the "Project/target options" window without changing anything. C::B crashes but no RPT file was created.
No such problem with gcc 9.2 found in msys2 nor with gcc 8.1.
Sorry  :(

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:09:03 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:42 pm »
Go get us a stack trace and we'll see what we can do!
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 04:03:22 pm »
I don't know how to do that !
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:06:11 pm »
Well, this is where the real development work happens. ;)

You have to build wxWidgets with debug flags (CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g) and then build Code::Blocks with debug flags. And then you run CB under GDB (gdb codeblocks.exe) and, when it crashes, you see a lovely little call stack of all the functions that were on the stack when the crash was triggered!

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
Oups ! Some work to do... Need some time.
More, simplu opening and closing the workspace "Properties" is sufficient to create the problem.

PS :
could it be my wxWidgets generation ? I use a .bat file containing, until now :

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release UNICODE=1 USE_OPENGL=1 DEBUG_LEVEL=0 VENDOR=cb_64 CXXFLAGS="-fpermissive -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=gnu++11 -Wno-deprecated-declarations" LDFLAGS="-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition"

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:23:33 pm by gd_on »

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 06:20:49 pm »
With this TDM 9.2 version :
I compiled a debug version of wxWidgets 3.1.4
I compiled a debug version of C::B without contrib plugins.
I copied the wxwidgets dll directly in devel folder and launched this new codeblocks.exe directly in this folder.
I have been able to load a workspace, to open and close a "Property..." window without problems.
So, ... the problem I met before comes probably from one of the contrib plugins.
Need some more work to try to identify which one ...

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 07:59:09 pm »
I disabled all plugins the re-enabled them one by one. Apparently, the problem is within lib_finder.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 08:09:12 pm »
such cool news, I will give it a try ASAP, to try to build CB also with this toolchain, because maybe, just maybe, it might be interesting to bundle this one in our release ....

I probably will build this weekend, so let's hope that already the work of gd_on paves the road ;-)

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 02:17:45 am »
Personally I think you should go back to TDM-GCC 4.7.1, that's the last release that didn't bloat C++ code horrifically. ;) But I'll keep rolling newer GCC releases when I can, and maybe the upstream maintainers will find some time to pay a little love to the libstdc++ import cruft that's been happening.