User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Configuring Code::Blocks using Visual Studio 2019 compiler (MSVC)

<< < (2/2)

Alex@SM:
It seems that the MSVC Preview version is not free so I am changing it to the Comunity Edition also. I guess it would not require many changes in C::B setup that I posted. Otherwise, I will let everyone know..

pjones0:
Surely there must be a default.conf and any other files that code::blocks needs to be able to access the VS C++ 20XX (2017) greater compiler/linker??? I tried modifying the .confg file to include a msvcXX entry--like msvc8 and added a options_msvcXX.xml, but I still can't get it to work.  Any help from any CB guru's???

Miguel Gimenez:
Support for MSVC2017 was added to trunk in January, so any younger nightly should include it.

cacb:

--- Quote from: pjones0 on August 03, 2023, 12:46:38 am ---Surely there must be a default.conf and any other files that code::blocks needs to be able to access the VS C++ 20XX (2017) greater compiler/linker??? I tried modifying the .confg file to include a msvcXX entry--like msvc8 and added a options_msvcXX.xml, but I still can't get it to work.  Any help from any CB guru's???

--- End quote ---

The default.conf file contains a lot of information irrelevant to getting MSVC compiler configured in C::B.  The details are really explained for MSVC2019 community edition in the PDF of the first post. I still use that setup. I recommend you spend some time studying that.

Start by defining the 5 user defined global variables: msvc, msvc_toolchain, net_sdk, win_sdk and win_sdk_lib. Use the lobal variable editor. Save by exiting C::B at intervals.

Then define the user defined compiler named MSVC and set its search directories etc. referring to the global variables mentioned and documented in the PDF. I have not experienced any significant slowdown in compiling/linking doing it this way. Make it the default compiler.

It takes a bit of effort to configure things this way, but one benefit is that the C::B project files (I have many) become largely independent of the actual MSVC compiler being used, so upgrading is easier.

I also have an extremely simplified setup for creating new preconfigured projects for the user defined MSVC compiler, essentially a few typical projects with token project names. When creating a new project I simply run a search/replace utility and voila I have a new project file that works the way I want it.

I do not integrate MSVC debugging in the C::B ide. For this I use a C::B Tools menu entry to start the MSVC IDE in debug mode with the current C::B editor file+line as the current debugging point. Not super fancy, but it works well enough for my use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version