Author Topic: Download won't open  (Read 4340 times)

Offline StormN

• Single posting newcomer
Download won't open
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:26:50 pm »
After downloading 18 MB file from SourceForge, doubleclick opens to a help/index menu. No installation.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Download won't open
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:34:22 pm »
Hm. Which file exactly have you downloaded?
What OS are you using?
Exact steps to reproduce the problem?

Are you using some file from here http://codeblocks.org/downloads ?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline StormN

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:01:04 am »
No. I am not using that download link. This is the one: https://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/

It's just 18MB. File is sdk.chm. When I click on menu item 'files' I see 'Sources' (16mb) and Binaries (73mb).

The above link says on first page that Debugger included. But in downloading 2017 mingw exe debugger does not seem to be included. I see different forum post from 4-5 years ago detailing downloading TDM-GCC but still no debugger exe file found. I am brand new to programming (in my sixties).

Thanks for your input.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:27 am »
This is only the help file, but not codebocks...
Use this orhttps://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/17.12/ and select your download. Or even better use the link obfuscated posted...

[edit:] @Dev, who is the maintainer of SF? This probably should be fixed...

Offline StormN

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
That's what I suspected and I agree with Moderator that should be looked into.

I have downloaded the17.12 file before and just did it again. I thought I had uninstalled and deleted all files as confirmed by doing various computer searches but the download just kept finding stuff like a tdm-gcc compiler that didn't work. Default didn't take but finally the other default setting did.

So I copied a simple program and it works. That great but . . .what started all this for me is that I can't find a debugger. There is no plugin as promised in SourceForge. Yes, I have gone into settings and clicked through all debugger steps but no path found. In my recently deceased old computer I had downloaded a debugger that worked but can't figure out or repeat what I did.

I really would like a debugger.

Thank you for your help.

Offline StormN

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
Me thinks I solved it. I was preparing a new thread in the forum section for Help questions, about finding a debugger in Codeblocks, which I just canceled.

I looked for the executable path under 'settings-debugger' and just guessed to click on project name in debug bin.

I played with the my project and debugger and it seems to work! (Dance of joy) :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:27:13 pm by StormN »