Author Topic: "Could not save config file..." Error  (Read 22714 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: "Could not save config file..." Error
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 01:20:47 am »
It is getting confusing. It is working, but it is not working. Please try to be a bit more clear!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sg

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 02:13:55 am »
Sure, I will try to be more clear. Could you please read the first error message in this forum by 'spflanze'? I am getting the same errors he/she had (see below). I am asking how can I remove these error messages.

"Whenever I close CodeBlocks 16.01 I get two error message windows. Their messages are:

Unable to open personal dictionary file
    Could not save config file..."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 09:06:27 am »
Yes, I've read the topic from the start. I've did it again and it is still confusing what is not working.

I guess there are multiple things broken.
Like:
1. when using cblauncher.exe - you're getting error messages and settings aren't saved
2. when using codeblocks.exe - your compilation fails
Have I understood everything you correctly?

What version are you using? What OS?
What is the content of your AppData*/CodeBlocks folder? Do you have some xml files in a compiler subfolder?

I'm not a user of cblauncher, so I cannot help much, but as a start it might help if you state the exact command you're using.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sg

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:41:22 pm »
Hi there,

- Windows 10
- CodeBlocks version 17.12

Users/sgare/AppData/Roaming/CodeBlocks folder has the following files (see attachment)--no XML files.

To start CB, I run CbLauncher.exe from the Program Files (x86) > CodeBlocks folder

Thanks!

Offline SaturdayScience

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 07:15:56 pm »
I'm getting the same error but I think I can provide more context details. I am running CB on Win 10 Home and use CB Launcher.
If I open Watches and dock it then the perspective has changed and on exiting CB Im asked if I want to save the new perspective. The problem arises because the default.conf is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\AppData\codeblocks.

If I Launch as Administrator then the config is saved because I have sufficient rights as admin to save in C:\Program Files (x86).

So I wonder if CB has the default location foe AppData in an unusual / inappropriate location. Often AppData on Win is c:\Users\[user account]\AppData.

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:21 pm »
I have never used CB Launcher but isn't that the thing you use when you want a portable CodeBlocks? Because then it would make totally sense to not use system directories but the installation directory to store settings.

I always use CodeBlocks.exe and never had any of these issues.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »
@SaturdayScience: Yes, this is not the correct location of the appdata. When not using the cblauncher it is somewhere in your user folder. But probably the launcher messes things up or it has some configuration options. I've never used it so I cannot comment what is going on.

But if sodev is correct then you should copy codeblocks.exe and all the other stuff in a writable folder and use it from there.

Offline SaturdayScience

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:43 am »
Hi sodev and oBFusCATed
the explanation makes sense. Being new to C::B and Win 10 providing both 'buttons' from a standard installation I wrongly assumed launch behaved in similar fashion to e. LibreOffice general button.
As you correctly suggested simply using C::B button works flawlessly.
Thank you for your kind assistance.