Author Topic: Dark theme  (Read 11801 times)

Offline CBdan

• Single posting newcomer
Dark theme
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:43:31 pm »
I know this is an old topìc. I'd love to see a Windows C::B with a full interface dark theme (not only the coding area) but I know the limitations because the usage of GUI Windows foundations.

I spend lots of time in front of my pc and I really appreciate dark looks for my vision. I use a bunch of programs and most of these have switched to dark interfaces. So when I turn to use C::B (which I've been working with for years), it's hard for me to adapt to its 'outdated' look.

I've been trying Netbeans for a while (because its Darcula dark theme) and I'm still love C::B but I've to admit I'm spending more and more time with NB. I wonder if Windows C::B will eventually do the technical changes required to adopt custom color schemes.

Thanks a lot.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Dark theme
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:21:59 pm »
This would happen only if the win32 api provided by microsoft starts to support dark themes.
It is possible to override the colours of all windows, but I don't see anyone interested to do the work required.
And it will be windows only and it will be very fragile...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
This would happen only if the win32 api provided by microsoft starts to support dark themes.

I think win32 api is not the thing to blame, because many programs have dark themes. The programs I'm using have dark themes in Windows include Visual Studio, Studio One 4 and Blender 3D.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 05:24:11 pm »
We use wxWidgets as base window library... wxWidgets uses win32 api controls for windows... Visual Studio is an UWP app != win32 app. Blender uses its own window framework and uses OpenGL to draw it (this is bad for example for blind people, because this means there is now scree reading support). I do not know what Studio One 4 is and what framework it uses, but for sure it does not use the native win32 controls as wxWidgets does....

So win32 is to blame for this....

[edit: spelling]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:25:43 pm by BlueHazzard »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:09:44 pm »

guessing
is now scree reading support
means
"is no screen reading support"
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »
is now scree reading support
means
"is no screen reading support"
Yes! Thank you :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:02 pm »
I think win32 api is not the thing to blame, because many programs have dark themes.
Patches welcome. I'd be happy to be proven wrong and there is an easy fix for dark themes on Windows.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 12:01:07 am »
A place to try is https://github.com/ysc3839/win32-darkmode

Example application shows how to use undocumented dark mode API introduced in Windows 10 1809.

No idea if it is a good place; just the first web search response that looked like a possibility.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 07:06:04 pm »
Ping me again when undocumented is changed to documented. :)