Author Topic: C::B EOF?  (Read 14561 times)

Offline Jewest

• Multiple posting newcomer
C::B EOF?
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:18:37 am »
As an user I wonder is C::B still alive?
No new release this year and no road plan.
Should I be looking for a new/different IDE?

Not planning a release is planning for disaster.
I understand that releasing a new version give a lot of stress on the team.
But never releasing will result in people leaving the project as it is a never ending story.
No I do not want to install the lasted unstable nightly build version, I use the program to create my own problems  ;)
Testing a RC is a different story, as this an attempt to create an end product.

I love the program but no release does make me rethink my options.

Best regards,

Jewest

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: C::B EOF?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am »
As an user I wonder is C::B still alive?
Sort of, but it is underpowered.

No new release this year and no road plan.
We've stopped doing these long ago, because they are useless. Development of C::B is driven by personal interest of developers and patches provided by non-developers.

Should I be looking for a new/different IDE?
Yes, if C::B doesn't work for you. Please report problems you have, so we can fix them.

Not planning a release is planning for disaster.
I understand that releasing a new version give a lot of stress on the team.
We have a plan, it is just not public yet :)

But never releasing will result in people leaving the project as it is a never ending story.
Last release was an year ago... But generally I agree...

I love the program but no release does make me rethink my options.
Why? What is the rational for switching to another software just because your current software has infrequent releases?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:23:25 am »
And also there are the nightlies, that come quite often...

Offline Jewest

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:02:33 am »
Sort of, but it is underpowered.
Ok I understand, slower development.

We've stopped doing these long ago, because they are useless. Development of C::B is driven by personal interest of developers and patches provided by non-developers.
I disagree, they are useful. why would I contribute to the project that has no end date?

Yes, if C::B doesn't work for you. Please report problems you have, so we can fix them.
C::B works for me but every time I report something I get this will be solved in a nightly. there is never a real RC or a final with the fix.

We have a plan, it is just not public yet :)
So there is no plan, otherwise you would have put it up somewhere.
A plan can also be made without a dead line.
Or when on the developers has inserted something new.

Last release was an year ago... But generally I agree...
A year without a new release? That is a sign.

Why? What is the rational for switching to another software just because your current software has infrequent releases?
Because the current software has not been updated in a year. this is a signal that the project is sliding into a silent death.

You are correct, this happens very often. but I do not have the time to build and test every nightly.
Then come to the conclusion that 1 bug is fixed but I got 3 new ones.

Thank you both for responding.
It has made it clear for me that C::B is not longer what it used to be, a great editor with a great community to back it up.
I am sorry for the hard words but this how I see it, and I think there should be discussion if this is the way to go.
C::B is sliding into the position where the developers do there hobby, but nobody benefits from this.
Not the user nor the developer of having the pride that people are actually using his brilliant code.
Making a release from time to time improves the quality of the end product.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:35:53 am »
I am sorry for the hard words but this how I see it, and I think there should be discussion if this is the way to go.
C::B is sliding into the position where the developers do there hobby, but nobody benefits from this.
Not the user nor the developer of having the pride that people are actually using his brilliant code.
And what is your solution? Can you provide the money for full time development, like other ides (eclipse, qtcreator, atom ecc) get? If not, how will you finance the life of the developer, who should find the time to implement codeblocks features the user wants, but he can not use in this work?

This is my last response to this kind of topics... There are essentially 2-5 developers on this project that provide patches. Everybody that rents about open source projects do not go forward should spend their own time on providing patches, bug reports, and other things, because renting does not brings the software forward...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 12:11:43 pm »
I'm not sure how long do you follow our history but we've never been know for doing frequent releases.
I'm trying to make a release once a year at least. With the current development rate I'm not sure more frequent releases would make it better.
This one slipped a bit, but we'll have one as soon as the use of wx3.1.2 on windows is ironed out.

If you don't like the pace of development you have two options:
1. switch to something else (there are a lot of options these days),
2. become a developer and help us improve the project in the areas which are lacking in you opinion and use

If you're on linux and you're using the two most popular flavors then building a night build package is super easy. You have to execute small number of commands and you have a working package which would be no different than a release.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 06:43:53 pm »
And for Windows users, nightly builds are generally handed to us on a silver platter and we don't even have to build them ourselves.

Offline usercdbl

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 07:10:40 pm »
CB_20171209_rev11246_win64
CB_20190101_rev11544_win64
298 problems are solved between 09/12/2017 and 01/01/2019.
One problem per day nearly.
This is a great job.
I appreciate the efforts of CB Development Team.
Thank you very much.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 04:41:59 pm »
I am speaking just for myself, as a Windows user I realy not building anithing myself with that comandline stuff, really not my thing, so need an IDE i can instal the Windows way and directlly worck with it.
However I also understand that this here is an opensorce project and developers earn no money with it but CB is defenetly not worth then comercial alternatives, in my opinion it´s even beter.

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 06:02:38 pm »
I'm not sure why you'd have to limit yourself like that, people on this forum provide Windows builds of the "nightly build" releases of CodeBlocks.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
I'm not sure why you'd have to limit yourself like that, people on this forum provide Windows builds of the "nightly build" releases of CodeBlocks.
But 64Bit only and there is no compiler included.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:28 pm »
But 64Bit only and there is no compiler included.

If you only have a 32 bit windows OS, I suggest learning how to self-build Code::Blocks or find another IDE to use.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »
If you only have a 32 bit windows OS, I suggest learning how to self-build Code::Blocks or find another IDE to use.
Why are you so aggressive?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 07:40:25 pm »
Why are you so aggressive?

Giving him a warning is not aggressive; or do you think the next release for windows will include a 32 bit C::B IDE?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 07:45:30 pm »
Giving him a warning is not aggressive; or do you think the next release for windows will include a 32 bit C::B IDE?
If you ask me - it will, but I'm not the one making the builds, so we will see.