Author Topic: Watch Window Display Format  (Read 3081 times)

Offline DaveHarper

• Single posting newcomer
Watch Window Display Format
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:18:59 pm »
I'm looking at switching to Code::Blocks from my current IDE because that one won't allow me to set the display format of individual variables in the watch window.  I didn't find anything in the Code::Blocks manual regarding this but I did find a similar request (msg 1537) from 2005 that indicated it would be implemented soon.  Has this been done?  I've tried right-clicking on the variable/value in the window but there are no options for setting the format.  I've also gone through the various Settings and anything else I can think of but haven't found anything so far that would let me control this.  For me, this is a show-stopper on any IDE - I find I spend more time with a programmers calculator doing format conversions than I do debugging my program.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S.  I should mention that when I right-click on a variable in the watch window I get a drop-down menu with a number of entries, but all are greyed out except for Delete All at the bottom.  There is a Properties option that looks promising if I could access it but all variables in the watch window give me the same disabled drop-down options.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:44:17 pm by DaveHarper »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Watch Window Display Format
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:20:56 pm »
Right click on a watch -> Properties?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline DaveHarper

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:11 pm »
After doing a lot of poking around I've found that I cannot alter the Local variables as shown in the Watches window.  However, I can add the same exact variable separately and, once I do that, I can set the display format.  Sheesh.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
Yes, local variables and function arguments doesn't support formatting at the moment. With the current pluign I don't think it is even possible.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline DaveHarper

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:15 pm »
Right click on a watch -> Properties?
The problem is that the Properties options is disabled (greyed out).  However, I have found a workaround.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:42:01 pm »
It is intentionally disabled, because it is not possible to implement the options provide by the dialog.