Author Topic: CB 17.12 and GCC 5.3.0 compiles fine but debugger shows "no disk in drive" error  (Read 3161 times)

Offline jlastofka

• Single posting newcomer
I see people used to have trouble with this message from the compiler and my searching here and on the web shows old information about Windows drive names and other workarounds. I just did a new install of CB (I got this error with an older version, too) and have what I think are the latest CB and GCC (maybe I'm wrong?). C++ projects compile and run fine, but the debugger always pops up this attached dialog about a missing drive. And then the debugger seems to act a bit weird, but I'm not sure about that yet. I'm new with the debugger, so....
Are other people still getting this message? I couldn't find that it was actually resolved, but all the posts seemed older. This is on Windows 7.  I looked at my path and it seems good. Perhaps there's another compiler/debugger I should try?
Thanks for any tips or ideas.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
The problem is in the Compiler; it is not in Code::Blocks.
Edit: The above is based on all the past issues of this problem.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline jlastofka

Thanks for replying. So, are other people just living with this? Are they using a different compiler? Do people just not use the debugger?
I guess I'll look around for another compiler/debugger. Seems pretty odd if this problem's been around for ages with the standard compiler that comes with the C::B download from their site.  (or did I download the compiler separately long ago and now I've forgotten....)  It seems it came with C::B
There's got to be something I'm missing here.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
The problem is in the Compiler; I have no idea where you got the compiler from.
Edit: Technically the problem is in a DLL that is shipped as part of the compiler. Edit2: I am using compiler to mean the GCC toolchain that contains the compiler and debugger.

The trigger is related to the drive letters used on your computer; I forget the exact usage of the drive letters that cause the problem.
I think if you are using one of the "bad" drive letters and it can not be mounted the error is triggered.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:50:03 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Your compiler is not the one shipped with Code::Blocks
The installers/packages with compiler include the GNU compiler suite
and GNU debugger (GDB) from TDM-GCC (version 5.1.0, 32 bit, SJLJ).

Tim S.
--

Offline jlastofka

Thanks for the tips. Starting from your info I got it working but it was somewhat difficult.

I see now there are several downloads of the CB installer and I had probably used one without GCC, so it didn't update mine. Selecting another got me the new GCC, but CB couldn't see it. Poking around in the settings dialogs I found where to set that, but it was only partially successful. It got the compiler working but the debugger kept failing to launch. It was looking for gdb.exe and I didn't have one. I only had gdb32.exe.

Reading some text info from the TDM GDB download I saw them talking about making a renamed copy of gdb32.exe as gdb.exe. That sounds fishy but I tried it and all seems to be working now. I don't know whether that's a time bomb waiting for later.....     I'm on a 64 bit Windows7 system.

Anyway, I really appreciate you giving me the clues that helped me sort this out.

Offline jlastofka

Further important update. It only worked briefly and then started to fail to find/launch an executable for the debugger (I'm pretty sure that's what it was referring to.)

I found the real 64 bit GCC from Sourceforge and a very helpful detailed setup instructions page for loading it into CodeBlocks here:

https://medium.com/@yzhong.cs/code-blocks-compile-64-bit-under-windows-with-mingw-w64-79101f5bbc02

Now I think things are really right......