Author Topic: codecs on linux  (Read 4584 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
codecs on linux
« on: February 07, 2006, 05:01:37 pm »
A very off topic question, but since there are sveral experienced linux users in here, they might be able to help me out.

I hava an mfc application that does image analysis on traffic recordings. These recordings are either divx-avi files, or mpeg2 .mpg files. We have programmed a special dll, that handles the troubles of opening up the video file, getting the right codedc, and upon request provide frame per frame. This is done by means of directshow filters.
Well in the process of global_replace(M$, Code::Blocks), and the reading of my newly acquired book on wxWidgets (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131473816/wxwidgets-20/102-9566944-8980113?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1).  ;-)

I was wondering if there's an equivalent on linux that can deal with the video files, find out from the system if the required codec is available and then use it, and upon each request hand me the next frame (so no need for regular player functionality, things may go way faster then just 25 frames/sec).

Thanks for your time for reading this off topic stuff,
Lieven

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: codecs on linux
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 05:05:01 pm »
You would maybe like to take a look at wxMediaCtrl. To use it you must compile wxWidgets with that widget enabled.

You could also take a look at the implementation to give you an idea of how to achieve what you really want.

Offline ASJ

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:04:23 pm »
I am also making an app to process individual frames from .mpg files. Currently I am using the fobs c++ wrapper around the ffmpeg library ( http://fobs.sourceforge.net/features.html ), and for my purposes it works. ffmpeg is pretty fast and can handle a lot of different codecs.
Maybe this is also useful for you!

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:19:03 pm »
Another option is to use the VideoLAN VLC sourcecode. The interface is made in wxWidgets, and it supports almost every codec on earth, runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. It's very modular so you can safely remove support for things you don't need.

wxMediaCtrl, ffmpeg or VLC all are good, just look to which one fits more your needs.