Author Topic: Help with CDB / Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler  (Read 4130 times)

Offline JeremyCaradec

• Single posting newcomer
Help with CDB / Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:43 am »
Hello everyone,

After spending yesterday afternoon reading the forum trying to find details about my problem, I decided to start a new post.

I have VS 2010 Express installed and I'm using its MSVC compiler along the Debugging Tools For Windows (x86)'s cdb debugger. My machine is on Windows 7 - 64bit, running C::B 17.12.
I made a simple program to test this setup. It compiles and run fine, but the debugger is another story.
Here are some screenshot of what I get with the debugger:

https://imgur.com/oJ5dqF3 (the "img" markups doesn't seem to work)

The Call Stack window is the only one that pops up. Note that the "Display various info" button doesn't do anything.

https://imgur.com/BILrcmU

I open up the Watches manually and the default fields are empty. So I added the array and set its properties to "Watch as array" and "Decimal". I also added the sum value and set its properties to "Decimal".
As you can see, the display isn't affected by the properties I have set for each variables.

https://imgur.com/8HhoSsQ

Finally, the Step instructions doesn't work, the other instructions seems to work though.

Is this a problem in my C::B setup ? Or does this release doesn't have a full CDB support yet ?

Thanks in advance for any tips or help !

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:15:33 am by JeremyCaradec »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Help with CDB / Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:32:11 am »
C::B for sure doesn't have full debugging capabilities when using CDB.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline JeremyCaradec

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:46:05 am »
Thanks for your quick answer !
So you're saying that this is the best I can get out of cdb in C::B ? :/
I'm trying to find a good MSVC debugging tool outside of the Visual Studio scope. C::B is the most promising IDE in this aspect out of all the others out there (Eclipse and NetBeans doesn't have CDB support at all).
Would you know if there are any open source IDE that might have a better cdb support than C::B ? I doubt there is but I'm just trying to see what my options are here.

Jeremy

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:41:53 pm »
Thanks for your quick answer !
So you're saying that this is the best I can get out of cdb in C::B ? :/
I'm trying to find a good MSVC debugging tool outside of the Visual Studio scope. C::B is the most promising IDE in this aspect out of all the others out there (Eclipse and NetBeans doesn't have CDB support at all).
Would you know if there are any open source IDE that might have a better cdb support than C::B ? I doubt there is but I'm just trying to see what my options are here.

Jeremy

Is there any special reason you need the Microsoft compiler?  If you use gdb then Code::Blocks works fine with that and a MinGW compiler?

Offline JeremyCaradec

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »
Is there any special reason you need the Microsoft compiler?  If you use gdb then Code::Blocks works fine with that and a MinGW compiler?

Kind of long to explain but I'm continuing project that was started on VS 2010 Professional. The Express version doesn't have all the features I want (such as Attach to process) so I'm searching for a replacement.
Anyway, the reason I want to keep the MSVC compiler is because it's how the project has always been compiled, and there might be issues by changing the compilation pipeline.
But seeing as how it might not be possible to keep the MSVC compiler I've started to work on transitionning the project to MinGW. I've tested the compiler and the debugger with MinGW and it works fine.
Right now I'm changing what needs to be changed, I also know that there might be problems with sockets and that might need some work to get it working with MinGW.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:09:33 pm »
If there is lldb on windows which could debug msvs produced binaries you have a chance to find an IDE which can replace visual studio.
Otherwise I think you'll be stuck. If you're interested in contributing, patches for the CDB integration are welcome.
Also there was another CDB plugin implentation, but I think now it is abandoned. Probably you could check it up.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline JeremyCaradec

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:44 am »
Thanks for the leads, I'm going to check LLDB and this other CDB plugin.
As for contributing, it might come later if I have time on my hands for such a project, but it does interest me. Especially to make it work with the latest Visual C++ Build Tools, I saw that C::B can already work with the compiler if given the right paths.