Author Topic: wxSmith installation newbie  (Read 7547 times)

m15981

wxSmith installation newbie
« on: February 05, 2006, 02:15:17 am »
Hello

It is more than three days that i am trying to install wxSmith but with no result.
I will make a description of the whole process
I have installed C::B compiled succesfuly and then opened the wxSmith project
and compiled it succesfully as well. Then what am i supposed to copy into
the C::B plugins folder? In the end of the whole proccess i have one folder with
all the images (src\output\share\codeblocks etc.) one zip with two xrc files
(src\ouput\share\codeblocks etc.) and a dll (src\devel\share\codeblocks etc.)
If i try to copy these files inside the plugins folder of c::B when i start codeblocks
i receive the following error "This application has failed because wxmsw26_gcc_custom.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" But despite the message
when i close it codeblocks starts normally. So i supppose that the msg is due to wxSmith.
Please help i am getting mad!!!Thank you in advance for your help

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: wxSmith installation newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 02:44:24 am »
A few thoughts:
  • Make sure the wxWidgets options are the same for both builds -- in particular, make sure both are linking against the same library: the Unicode wxmsw26u.a (the default) or the ANSI wxmsw26.a (which it seems your wxSmith build currently is).
  • Compile both the main Code::Blocks project and the wxSmith project before running update.bat. This will make sure everything gets placed in the output directory that needs to be, and you don't have to worry about copying plugin dlls around.
  • The wxSmith plugin is a WIP, so a certain amount of familiarity with Code::Blocks' inner workings is an implied requirement for getting everything to work properly. If you just can't figure it out, it might be best for you to wait until it's an official, working plugin.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:48:45 am by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:24:20 am »
Or just download a Nightly build with everything already compiled: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0

m15981

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:49:43 pm »
Thank you for your answers i will try with the nightly builds!!

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:51:24 pm »
I have installed C::B compiled succesfuly and then opened the wxSmith project
and compiled it succesfully as well. Then what am i supposed to copy into
the C::B plugins folder? In the end of the whole proccess i have one folder with
all the images (src\output\share\codeblocks etc.) one zip with two xrc files
(src\ouput\share\codeblocks etc.) and a dll (src\devel\share\codeblocks etc.)
If i try to copy these files inside the plugins folder of c::B when i start codeblocks
i receive the following error "This application has failed because wxmsw26_gcc_custom.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" But despite the message
when i close it codeblocks starts normally. So i supppose that the msg is due to wxSmith.
Please help i am getting mad!!!Thank you in advance for your help

Hello,

If you get a message that "This application has failed because wxmsw26_gcc_custom.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem", then it means that the dll in question was not found. If I understand correctly wxmsw26_gcc_custom.dll is the wxWidget compiled library. If so, a first thing is that you have to compile wxWidgets with UNICODE. How to do this, the following post tell you it. This dll should be placed together with codeblocks.exe.

Remeber that after you have compiled the CodeBlocks.cbp you have to run update.bat (you will need also zip). After update.bat, what I usually do is opening the ContribPlugins.workspace and compiling all. But you can just compile what you need/like.

Best wishes,
Michael

PS.: On "How to compile C::B" you can search in the forum. You will probably find several useful posts.

m15981

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:16:57 pm »
Ok i went for the nightly builds and everything seems to work fine.
Something else in my first installation of code blocks i used the mingw compiler
then installed the wxwidgets and compiled (v.2.6.2 nn-unicode) and then installed
the codeblocks rc2. Now since i desided to use the nightly builds i have removed
the rc2 version completely and left with mingw and wxWidgets + the nightly build version
 with the unicode DLL of wxwidgets in the same folder. Do i still need the wxWidgets
installation or the DLL inside the nightly build folder is enough?
Aaaaa and something more inside the build target drop down menu i have only 2 entries
"All" and "default". Do i have to add the rest of the entries manually and if yes how???
:) Yes one more. Is it possible to edit the default templates to adjust them to my needs
or i have to make new ones?
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:23:07 pm by m15981 »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 09:21:32 pm »
Hello,

Please also remember that you cannot use RC2 to compile SVN source, but you need a nightly build.

If you would like to develop wxWidgets applications, compile C::B and/or plugins, then you need wxWidgets directory with include and lib. If not you just need the dll.

Best wishes,
Michael

m15981

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 09:24:32 pm »
So the DLL is only used to run C::B and the libraries for the applications developed by me.
So i need both!!!
thx

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 09:46:43 pm »
To be precise, C::B needs the wxWidgets DLL library compiled with UNICODE support to work.

To develop wxWidgets applications, build C::B and/or plugins, then you need the same DLL library that C::B uses, but also the include files and libraries in the lib repository (which libs depend on which application you are developing).

Michael

PS.: You can also use static libraries to develop wxWidgets applications if you prefer.

m15981

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 09:53:57 pm »
Thank you michael you have been very helpfull!!!  :D
Can you give me a hand with the rest of my questions
in my previous post? Thx

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 10:03:27 pm »
Aaaaa and something more inside the build target drop down menu i have only 2 entries
"All" and "default". Do i have to add the rest of the entries manually and if yes how???
:)

Normally, when you create a new project you will have those two targets, but you can add others if you need/want (Project-->Properties-->Targets tab).

Yes one more. Is it possible to edit the default templates to adjust them to my needs
or i have to make new ones?
Thank you

You can for example, use a template, modifying it and save it with another name by using Project-->Save project as user-template. You can use this option for save projects as templates.

Best wishes,
Michael