Author Topic: Question about license  (Read 4455 times)

Offline AkiraDev

• Multiple posting newcomer
Question about license
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:42:19 am »
Is Code::Blocks' license going to be "upgraded" to GPL3?

In my personal opinion, I find GPL3 more restrictive than GPL2, and as such, would prefer C::B to remain GPL2. What is the developers view on this?

Thank you for any answers

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Question about license
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:19:30 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, GPL version only exists as a draft as of January 16. It may be a bit hasty to commit to using or not using a draft which may as well still change.

However, the draft so far looks quite good to me. In fact, it removes a lot of confusion which the GPL used to bring in the past by explicitely defining those things.
For example, the GPL3 draft tells you exactly (and understandably!) whether, when, where, and how to distribute source code, whereas the current version leaves a lot of open questions.

The draft does not appear to be more restrictive than the previous version in any respect, unless you intend to purposely violate the license or file patents on someone else's intellectual property and the like things.
In such a case, you are breaking the law anyway, the only thing that is different is that the draft rules out all misunderstandings and doubts about what should be obvious to everybody from the beginning.

I would very much favour using GPL3 when it is out (supposed it is close the the existing draft).
It is an open source license, not an open questions license  :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."