Author Topic: Adding FPC to Code::Blocks ?  (Read 3435 times)

QuartexNOR

Adding FPC to Code::Blocks ?
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:54:48 am »
Hi!

First, thank you for a fantastic coding IDE! I absolutely love it!
What is truly great is that you have made such clean separation between C, C++ and Fortran.
Much better than some of the larger systems do (Borland's system was complete mess, remember DevStudio 2002-2010 ?).

But could I suggest one more language?
In our company we do a lot of development in object pascal. We have around 10 coders that do clean C/C++ development, and a second group of 8 people that work more or less solely in pascal.

For Windows we typically use Delphi, since that has close ties with C++ builder.
On Linux we usually pick Freepascal since that produces extremely fast code and we can link with .lib/.obj files from gcc.

Im not sure how you guys have setup the internals of the IDE, but having coded a few myself - i cant imagine that adding FPC support would take much effort (?)
There are several tokenizers and parsers that emits AST info, so things like suggestions etc. should also be doable.

It would be fantastic to finally have a clean alternative to Lazarus. And I think it would be very popular with present users that are fed-up with large and unstable IDE's.

Hope you take this into consideration, and thank you again for a great solution!

/QuartexNOR

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Adding FPC to Code::Blocks ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »
As far as i know, there is no codeblocks dev out there that uses pascal on his daily basis. And if no dev uses it, the chance that someone will implement it is nearly zero.

I have no idea about the build process in pascal, but if  it is similar as in c, it should be no problem to add a pascal compiler to the current codeblocks. If you post some command lines about the build process we might help you to integrate it.

About the code completion: we have some relative nice plugin interface for completion and the python completion is easy enought to use it as a basis for own coding. If you look into it you will get a idea how to implement it. Also here we are willing to help (note: i am not a dev, but i can help you a bit with the internals)

All in all it should be possible with some time, but you probably will have to do it by yourself...

greetings

Offline Amogachis

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Adding FPC to Code::Blocks ?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:14 am »
It can meet the requirements very well.