Author Topic: istringstream : bug @ MS  (Read 16338 times)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: istringstream : bug @ MS
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 12:51:39 am »
If it's a bug in their STL implementation, just use STLPort (of course, that is, if you really like (or need) to use the M$ free compiler).

Thank you I should of thought of that myself.  The main reason I am toying with VS 2005 is because the when I using Code::Blocks with the VC 2003 toolkit the debugger keeps flaking out on me and I really need to finish my project.  So I need a slightly more reliable tool.

sethjackson

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 03:12:55 am »
yes then it works, and if you repalce the , by a . it also works. The string is not the poblem, the instringstream can't handle things right anymore, where it did in .NET 2003. Stupid M$

Do you really need to be told that is not a bug but a feature (NOT).......  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:46:01 am »
The string is not the poblem, the instringstream can't handle things right anymore, where it did in .NET 2003. Stupid M$

Did you try just with the Express Edition or with the other versions too (e.g., Professional)? May be it is just a problem related to the Express Edition.

Stupid M$

Agree :D.

Michael

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 11:50:54 am »
Here is the bug report for this issue:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=724641c1-bfd9-4105-99b7-000e5024b64f

George Mileka's argument looks quite good and this was also the first thing that came to my mind. But it seems as we both were wrong and this is really a bug. Anyway, there is also a workaround given and they already fixed this bug - but it will only come with the next major release, whatever/whenever this will be...

And please do me a favor - stop this silly MS-blaming... Especially this one is a small bug that probably comes from a misunderstandig of the standard (and the standard is not always easy to understand - especially not in this case). Apart from this, Microsoft Visual Studio is still a very good IDE (in my opinion even the best one, sorry folks...)
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 12:06:36 pm »
And please do me a favor - stop this silly MS-blaming... Especially this one is a small bug that probably comes from a misunderstandig of the standard (and the standard is not always easy to understand - especially not in this case). Apart from this, Microsoft Visual Studio is still a very good IDE (in my opinion even the best one, sorry folks...)

Generally speaking, Visual Studio is a good IDE. I used it before C::B (and still use if requested in projects) and I felt relative comfortable with it. Regarding the bug and the misunderstanding of the standard I am not sure. M$ actively partipates to the C++ standardization process and C++ experts are working for M$. Moreover, M$ has not a good reputation, e.g., check for example with MPEG and MPEG-4. Anyway, this is just my opinion and not a beginning of a war :).

Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 02:31:36 pm »
Suppose you really need to use MSVC.
The solution is easy:

• Bug spotted in STL? Start using STLPort.
  • Bug spotted in the Compiler? Start using another Compiler.
  • Bug spotted in the IDE? Start using Code::Blocks. :)
  • Bug spotted in Code::Blocks? Send a bug report. :D
  • Fixed in SVN. :lol:

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 03:12:09 pm »
update : I got some feedback on my mail to M$. One solution is for the mentioned code to add the line : iss2.imbue(std::locale("C"));

--> did not try that one, don't like to change sources, will try it though
The second work around told me to changec xclocnum and xlocmon, but that didn't help me (or I did something wrong), so waiting for the next M$ mail. Hey, they provided quick feedback !!

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 11:12:20 pm »
Hey, they provided quick feedback !!
I think they have nothing better todo :P they are tired of playing minesweeper...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring