Author Topic: question about the conf file  (Read 6403 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
question about the conf file
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:40:29 pm »
I have some question about the conf file.

It seems that the conf file is saving several thing, just to name some :
 - compiler sets
 - editor settings
 - layout settings

When you change something, CB asks you at program closure, if you want to save the changes. You can 'don't annoy me again' on this message box.

The question is, if you choose not to be annoyed anymore, does that mean all changes are automatically saved ? Or does it mean all changes are discarded every time.

In the dicarding case, I would say for layout that might be fine, in this sesion I docked the call stack, but hey next time I don't care if it's not showing. But when I change for example some compiler settings,  I probably want those to persist. Idea, seperate 'configuration of environment,editor, compiler, global variables' from layout ??

Thanks,
Lieven

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: question about the conf file
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:50:32 pm »
If you select "don't annoy me any more" then you get whatever happens to be the default button in that message box each time it would normally show the dialog.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:02:39 pm »
Then it's always yes, since you can't change the default button, .. oh you can by tab selecting (not with the mouse),

thanks for the info

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 10:44:35 pm »
Then it's always yes, since you can't change the default button, .. oh you can by tab selecting (not with the mouse),

thanks for the info
No, no... it is always "yes". The default button is determined by the program, you can't change that with the tab key ;)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline duncanka

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 06:40:37 am »
No, no... it is always "yes". The default button is determined by the program, you can't change that with the tab key ;)
IMHO, it would make much more sense to detect the user's choice and save that as the action to be performed in the future instead of displaying the dialog.  I always assumed that was what it was doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was how many people interpret "Don't annoy me again."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:34:35 am »
IMHO, it would make much more sense to detect the user's choice and save that as the action to be performed in the future instead of displaying the dialog.  I always assumed that was what it was doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was how many people interpret "Don't annoy me again."

Although what you say makes sense, there are situations where this doesn't apply.
Take for example the initial reason we added this dialog: "Build->Rebuild".
It asks you if you 're sure you want to rebuild the project/target. If it worked as you describe, and you pressed no, then you would never be able to rebuild again until you re-enabled this dialog...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:22:40 am »
...also, the idea behind a default button is that the default button is usually the correct choice.

The reason why we have the AnnoyingDialog class is that the dialogs that use it are quite useless and annoying to many people. Although an unexperienced user may need those extra dialogs to find his way around, for all others, they only disrupt the workflow without any advantage.

For example, when I click on "rebuild", and I am being asked "do you really want to..." for the third time, it makes me go "Damnit, do you think I'd click on rebuild if I did not want that... where can I turn this off!". The default button is the correct choice anyway, and the "don't annoy me" setting only does one thing: it does not annoy you unnecessarily :)

It may be arguable whether or not saving a changed layout automatically is the desired behaviour. To me personally, it makes sense. It is what I would expect to happen. Actually, I often hibernate my PC rather than shutting down, because the effect is that the PC looks exactly the same when it's being turned on again. If it were my choice, that should be the default ;)

takeshimiya

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 04:59:06 pm »
True, and in most programs is called (more polite) "Don't show this message again". :)