Author Topic: Advice sought on unstable Code::Blocks Ubuntu system  (Read 2470 times)

Offline richrobin

• Single posting newcomer
Advice sought on unstable Code::Blocks Ubuntu system
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:27 pm »
Hi All,
I am using Code::Blocks 16.01  on ubuntu 16.04LTS. I am trying to port an application developed on Windows. However I have run into serious difficulties with the basic setup. I do not know if the problem is with Ubuntu or code::blocks or the laptop. Whilst working on the project I keep losing whole sub-directories. This time the project I was working on just disappeared without trace. There was nothing in the rubbish bin.  I have never lost an individual file or had an individual file be corrupted, it is always a directory which suggests it is a software problem. I can work for several days and everything appears to work fine then suddenly a major loss.
Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone advise me on the way forward?  I am close to abandoning Linux.
The file system says it is a 395GB Volume although the Harware partition is only about 100 GB so it must be compressed. This is not an option that I would choose had I been given a choice.
If I had to guess, I would say that it is a code::blocks problem because Code::Blocks has crashed ubuntu when scrolling windows when the scrollbar is at the far right of the screen.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Advice sought on unstable Code::Blocks Ubuntu system
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:59:00 pm »
Whilst working on the project I keep losing whole sub-directories.
What do you mean by this? The contents of the sub folder is deleted from the file system?

If I had to guess, I would say that it is a code::blocks problem because Code::Blocks has crashed ubuntu when scrolling windows when the scrollbar is at the far right of the screen.
Just keep in mind that modern operating systems don't crash if an app does something wrong. They kill the app and clean after it.
If you're getting crashes due to scrolling a window then you have probably problems with your video card drivers.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]