Author Topic: CodeBlocks UI problems on PocketCHIP  (Read 4339 times)

Offline bignobody

• Single posting newcomer
CodeBlocks UI problems on PocketCHIP
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:30:22 pm »
Hi there! I've been using CodeBlocks for a few years on Windows, so when I got my PocketCHIP for on-the-go programming it was natural for me to want to install it there.

PocketCHIP runs a Debian Linux distro and has a small resolution screen (480 x 272).

I installed the latest codeblocks available (16.01 - rev. 10692, SDK version 1.29.0) via apt-get install codeblocks

The nature of the problem seems to be with the UI wigets. Many times the container widgets don't behave correctly.

Some specific examples:

When viewing code files in tabs, often a selected tab will not show any content - it just comes to the front but contains no scrollpane with the code.

When hiding some windows (Messages, Log, for example) the widgets won't give up their screen space - the contents disappear, but an empty grey space remains that the remaining visible windows won't fill.

I can provide some screenshots if that would be helpful.

I made a post about it in the official PocketCHIP forum and have had two other users confirm they are also having the same issues. Can anyone help us make CodeBlocks usable for PocketCHIP?

https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/code-blocks-on-pocketchip-ui-woes/8943?u=bignobody

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: CodeBlocks UI problems on PocketCHIP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:30:43 am »
480 x 272 pixel is really small... and compiling on this little thing? Have you too much time? ;)
why not using vnc or remote desktop and program on your main pc via remote?

To your problem: can you try the wxWidgets samples and look if your problems exist there? (good luck on compiling wxWidgets on this machine ;) )
Can you try Scite and look if this editor has the same problems?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:34:30 am »
NOTE: most of the links (if not all) about the problem in the https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/code-blocks-on-pocketchip-ui-woes/8943?u=bignobody forum are not related to screen resolutions, but on user behavior and other "bugs"...

greetings

Offline bignobody

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:25:47 am »
Thank you for the reply!

480 x 272 pixel is really small... and compiling on this little thing? Have you too much time? ;)
why not using vnc or remote desktop and program on your main pc via remote?

The resolution is a challenge, but in the Minimal perspective, it is workable. And yes, I have far too much time... spent on buses and trains to and from work. I could lug a laptop with me, or use a microcomputer that weighs less than my lunch :D Based on the PocketChip forums, I know I am not the only one who plans to use this as a "field" computer.

To your problem: can you try the wxWidgets samples and look if your problems exist there? (good luck on compiling wxWidgets on this machine ;) )
Can you try Scite and look if this editor has the same problems?

Excellent suggestions. I will give them a try as soon as I get a chance, and then report back.

Cheers!

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 05:22:30 am »
Could you also report the wxWidgets version being used?

I am guessing either 2.8.12 or 3.0.2 are the likely versions.

I never heard (or I forgot) about the PocketCHIP; sounds like a good project.
I am now looking at the CHIP info.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline bignobody

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:38:47 pm »
Could you also report the wxWidgets version being used?

I am guessing either 2.8.12 or 3.0.2 are the likely versions.

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. Good guess! wx3.0.2 (Linux, unicode) - 32 bit.

Both I and another user in the PocketChip forum (hello Hark0!) can run Scite without any noticeable issues.
I've never tried programming with wxWidgets before, and most of the setup wizard is cut off (dialogs are too small for the content) so I hope project defaults are ok...

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 06:35:11 pm »
I am planning on seeing if I can see the issue in a Virtual Machine; but, since I am a Virtual Machine newbie it could take weeks or even months before I can duplicate the problem.

https://github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP-SDK

Edit: Tried and failed on Linux; and, I think it would NOT work anyway.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:36:32 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline bignobody

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 06:38:45 pm »
Haven't made much headway myself yet, but am still trying to get this to work when I have time. I haven't been able to get a wxWidgets sample working yet, mostly because of struggles with the IDE. I think I am going to try an install some previous releases of CodeBlocks and see if they also have these problems.

Offline bignobody

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »
There are no older versions available in the Debian repository my PocketCHIP is using, and I haven't found any older ARM binaries... So I guess my next option is to see if I can compile it myself? That's new territory for me. Wish me luck!