Author Topic: How to login to edit wikis.  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Grouch

• Multiple posting newcomer
How to login to edit wikis.
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:57:00 am »
After a recent discovery, I want to make a change in one of the wxSmith tutorials. I wrote the original version of the one I want to edit, but I am not allowed to edit it. Two reasons are given:
I am not a member of the group "Users".
I must confirm my email.
No information is given about how to fix either problem. A half-hour spent searching the site yielded nothing. May I ask someone to tell me how to do these things? While you are at it, you might want to make the website itself more helpful on this matter.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Grouch

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: How to login to edit wikis.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »
With an hour or so of floundering around, I managed to succeed. Although I was recognized and automatically logged in, I was not allowed to edit wikis. So I logged out, tried to log in, said I had forgotten my password (which was untrue), got a temporary by email, used it to login, changed my password (back to the old one), was finally allowed to edit my preferences, made no changes, clicked OK, and was now allowed to edit.

Is all that hassle really necessary?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
Unfortunately yes. We've changed our login system for the wiki. It is no longer linked to the forum.
And the creation of new logins has been disabled (last time I've heard about it) due to too weak security and too many bot users created.
Fortunately for you had an old user and was able to recreate it, right?

Thanks for the contributions!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:52 pm »
And the creation of new logins has been disabled (last time I've heard about it) due to too weak security and too many bot users created.

New users can be created by wiki-administrators, these are currently:
  • Jens
  • Killerbot
  • Mandrav
  • MortenMacFly
  • Obfuscated
  • Thomas

We need the username and an e-mail-address of the user.
A random password can be created and send to the mail-address or a password can be added manually.
In both cases a new user should change her/his password as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:49:08 pm by jens »