Author Topic: How to move projects from one computer to another  (Read 5542 times)

Offline mike@techcitysouth.com

• Single posting newcomer
How to move projects from one computer to another
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:43 pm »
Using CodeBlocks 16.01 in Ubuntu 16.04 configured as VirtualBox guest under Windows 10 host.  Same configuration on 2 computers, a 64-bit and a 32-bit.  I need to test my project on both computers.  I attempted to copy all project files from 64-bit system into shared folder, then copy into 32-bit system the same way.  When I attempt to open the project, the files are several versions old and I am unable to locate the current files.  I religiously "Save everything" before closing down.

Can you help me understand what's going on?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: How to move projects from one computer to another
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
Nope because we have no idea how you're copying the files.
The best advice we can give you is to use a Version Control system like git to share the files and keep the history in tact.
See this for more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control

Another thing you could try is to use another editor to check the content of the files and compare them.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
All projects are in a folder named Projects in my home directory. After closing C::B I use the Files app to copy the entire folder to the SharedFiles folder.  This folder is also shared in the other guest machine.  The weird part is that the project files have reverted in the machine I was working in, as if C::B rolled them back when I quit.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
try to file-> Save all Projects before closing codeblocks

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:54:30 pm »
Actually, I did that.  I think there may be a bug, or a damaged codefile in Codeblocks.  When I open the saved file(s) in Notepad, the older portion of the file is at the top and this is all that Codeblocks will read/display.  The newer portion is at the bottom with a large blank space between them.  I can recover most of what was lost from this.  I will reinstall and see what happens.