Author Topic: Crossplatform libraries (dynamic & static)  (Read 3724 times)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
Crossplatform libraries (dynamic & static)
« on: January 25, 2006, 03:08:11 am »
   Are there any good resources for getting up to speed with crossplatform libraries--especially dealing with stuff like _stdcall, __declspec( dllimport/dllimport ), & def files?  If so, where & what are they.  It would be good if the resources had code along with it.  I want to improve my skills in creating, using, and manipulating libraries with gcc (and in the future Microsofts sdk).  Thank you in advance.  Keep up the good work.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: Crossplatform libraries (dynamic & static)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 06:13:34 am »
Download the Ogre source for Linux and Windows and take a look around.  Ogre is more mature product than Code::Blocks, doesn't use wxWidgets macros (makes it easier to learn from) and source the is a 2 or 3 times more documented and cleaned up than Code::Blocks.  It is a great project to learn from.  You should especially check out how they set up there headers files like OgrePrerequsities, OgreStdHeaders, OgreConfig, OgreException, and OgrePlatfrom which combind to let you create some pretty and cross platform code.  Those headers have some nice preproccessor magic to make sure all the shared library stuff, exception, handling and the like are all in order based on platform and compiler.

EDIT: In fact I use a ported version of those headers in a project at my work.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
Re: Crossplatform libraries (dynamic & static)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:30:15 am »
Thanks I am going to check it out.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.