Author Topic: wxwidgets Contrib components compile failure  (Read 2367 times)

makermark

wxwidgets Contrib components compile failure
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:24:35 am »
Hello,

I am a complete CodeBlocks(13:12) newbie, a total linux (ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS..trusty) novice, and have never posted here, so I apologize in advance for any oversights on my behalf. My experience is in the windows world with other IDE's.

On the up side I have successfully created a super simple application using CB and many WX components. Any component on most of the wx tabs such as wxButton and wxStopWatch etc compile and run successfully.

However any component on the "Contrib" or "KWIC" or "Led" tabs result in the generic compiler error "No such file or directory", even though the icons exist on the tabs and the dropped in component shows the correct image on the development form. The failure is in finding the related .h file

I will use the specific example of wxChartCtrl.
Specifically, the error I receive is "wx/chartctrl.h: No such file or directory".

As suggested in the forums rules I have looked extensively on the net for a clue as to the cause, to no avail, which makes me think I may be looking for the wrong thing.

So here are some facts...
1. sudo apt-get install codeblocks-contrib
results in a response of "is already the newest version"

2. from root, as an example I tried
find -type -f -iname "calctrl.h"
This successfully finds calctrl.h in /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx and /usr/include/wx-3.0/wx
however
find -type -f -iname "chartctrl.h"
finds nothing! This is the same result for any of the other components in "Contrib" or "KWIC" or "Led"

3. CB installed plugins shows..
wxSmith-Contrib items         libwxsmithcontribitems.so  Version 0.2 and enable=yes.
The location, is /usr/lib/codeblocks/plugins/libwxsmithcontribitems.so and that file is there.

4. /usr/lib/codeblocks/wxContribitems amongst other things, contains
libwxchartctrl.so        Shared library
libwxchartctrl.so.0   Shared library
libwxchartctrl.so.1   Shared library   106.5KB

I feel confident the solution is simple, as it seems the header files have not been unpacked or something, but I do not have enough experience to know what to do to next.

Thankyou in advance and again my humble apologies for any blind-spots in my approach but it is a new world for me and I have sincerely tried to get this working.
Mark

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxwidgets Contrib components compile failure
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:09 pm »
That is true, the header files are not packed. The reason is that you need most likely to compile the sources for your target anyways. So please download the component from the SVN sources of C::B or the original maintainers and use them as needed (respecting their license, of course). Contrib wx controls are for power users, btw...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ