Author Topic: Installer for nightly build  (Read 6212 times)

roussec

Installer for nightly build
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:40:44 pm »
Hello,

is there a installer for Windows that can be used with the nightly builds? Can anybody give me a hint?

Thank you.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Installer for nightly build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:47:08 pm »
nope, no installer, just extract the 7-zip package, copy the wx dll next to it, and off you go (well haviung already a supported compiler/debugger installed might come in handy)

roussec

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:55:47 pm »
Yeah, I know how to use the nightly builds - the problem is that I want to put it on a CD for people that are maybe not so talented ;-) If I could use an installer it would make things easier.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:08:50 pm »
some options you could use (we don't do it for now, since otherwise each time for the non advanced users, we need to add mingW, Gdb, wx dll --> big downloads) for serving your audience ;-)  :

- create an installer with NSIS
- create a self extracting zip file (which contains everything)

As far as I know, CB does not need anything from the registry, the only thing it does with the registry is register itself to handle certain file types (at startup, no install task).
Dunno about MingW though (but my MingW install is by unzipping stuff, see wiki), only GDB comes with an installer (dunno if that's needed). For regular CB/MingW-GCC I don't even think MingW needs to be in the path, so you don't even have to worry about that.

Offline AkiraDev

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:16:17 pm »
This request actually raises a good question.
Considering that the SVN head is stable enough to warrant frequent use, and a good deal more advanced than the RC2, isn't it about time to make a RC3 available?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:24:38 pm »
Not at this time, we have a lot of work-in-progress items, it would not be good to release a RC like this.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:15 am »
Yeah, I know how to use the nightly builds - the problem is that I want to put it on a CD for people that are maybe not so talented ;-) If I could use an installer it would make things easier.

You can also use programs such as InstallAnywhere, Installshield, etc. Anyway, the installation is very simple and should not be too difficult for anyone. May be just for real beginners :).

Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:53:55 am »
Hey, in src/setup you have the Inno Setup scripts right there. You can use those scripts (along with any changes you may want).

roussec

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:54:26 am »
Thanks ;). I think I will use InnoSetup - but it is always easier/better/more safe to use something standard which was tested by at least a few people, especially if you want to distribute it.

takeshimiya

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 11:57:02 am »
That's what stable releases are for.
While development versions (SVN) usually fixes thousands bugs, new bugs are introduced also. And in middle of a refactor, don't expect anything to work. :wink: