Author Topic: XPM editor is not working animore  (Read 8755 times)

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
XPM editor is not working animore
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:33 am »
Hello Everybody.

Since the end of last year I'm not able any more to use the xpmeditor plug in https://sourceforge.net/projects/xpmeditor/.

I know, that I have to build it again with nearly every new version of Code::Blocks (nightly or release) by updating the SDK includes and the link-dependencies to avoid the error-message that tells me that the plug in can not be loaded since the SDK version has changed. Thus I usually update my SVN repository and and change the link dependencies against the current Code::Blocks dlls. In my last experiment I have build Code::Blocks by my own to ensure that all sources and all binaries fit together (revision 10816).

The effect is:
  • Once I import the fresh compiled xpmeditor plug in Code::Blocks starts to freeze and is not responding any more.
  • If I close it than to restart it Code::Blocks will not be opened.
  • The only possibility to make Code::Blocks work again is to delete the dll and the zip archive of the xpmeditor plug in in the in the installation folder of Code::Blocks.

I use Code::Blocks on Win10 and face the effect since the release 15.12 until the SVN revision 10816. May be that the problem was also visible some when earlier but I don't update my local repository very frequently.

I assume that in the meanwhile the sources published at sourceforge are to old and not compatible any more. Is there a newer version available somewhere else? Or may it be possible to add this plug in into the set of Contrib Plugins inside the Code::Blocks distribution?

Best regards,
                     Eckard Kllotz.   

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: XPM editor is not working animore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:31:24 pm »
Can you try to debug codeblocks within codeblocks?

Open the codeblocks project file, start the debugger and install the xpmeditor editor in the new opening codeblocks instance... this should give you a backtrace and us a indication where it crashes...

greetings

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 11:34:56 pm »
I assume that in the meanwhile the sources published at sourceforge are to old and not compatible any more.
I am using the (non-modified) SVN version myself on Windows w/o problems. Did you try a fresh re-build?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:00:26 pm »
Hello BlueHazzard and MortenMacFly.

Thank you very much for your response.

I tried it out by rebuilding both Code::Blocks and XPMeditor completely  with a clean before. For some reasons I was not really able to run the debugger to tell you what happens in detail.

But until now I use only the code in the 7z-file but not the SVN-content. I will try it out.

Best regards,
                    Eckard.

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:43:07 pm »
Hello Again.

After creating and updating an repository, I was able to build the revision 73. And this seems to work. Yes, life could be so easy, if you use the current code. Thanks for your help.

Is the a special reason why the xpmeditor is not transferred into the Contrib Plugins inside the Code::Blocks distribution?

Best regards,
                    Eckard.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 07:52:13 pm »
Is the a special reason why the xpmeditor is not transferred into the Contrib Plugins inside the Code::Blocks distribution?
Because we didn't ask the author to take over. Looks like the project is dead and taking over a plugin means taking over 100% responsibility. I personally use the free paint.net for most of my imaging tasks (wrt programming) so I don't see a major benefit having this included in C::B.

But that might just be me... You can start a poll to see how other users think about it...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »
I don't want to maintain an image editor, too.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]