Author Topic: I could do with help on the first steps to install Suse 13.2  (Read 2791 times)

Offline AdrianH

• Single posting newcomer
I could do with help on the first steps to install Suse 13.2
« on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:45 pm »
I do not want to get this wrong so before I do a daft thing thought I would ask.
I run Opensuse 13.2 64 bit, from the download page I downloaded
codeblocks-16.01.suse1320.x86_64.tar.xz

I have extracted all into its own directory, when examining the directory I am a little confused as there are multiple .rpm's, something like 50 of them.

There is no document file to list what is what, or to suggest which codeblocks one I should install, or, even if I should go through each rpm

I have had a look through the FAQ and not found help there.  I have gone to the Wiki page and tried the how do I install and then on to rpm based installs, unfortunately the susewiki seems to have been changed and no page is there, some message saying that the code page has been revamped.

So of the approx 50 rpms,  which do I install, if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I am a complete novice and will probably be back for more.

I am  printing the documentation but will take some time for me at the moment.

many thanks

Adrian
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:34:08 pm by AdrianH »

Offline AdrianH

• Single posting newcomer
Re: I could do with help on the first steps to install Suse 13.2
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:45:08 am »
OK replying to myself here, but.

I did try to install from the extracted directory a few packages and got errors saying that it was missing the libcodeblocksx.x forget the numbers

So I tried to install the lib and it went through downloading several files and then errored with a massage saying user exit.

So I guess for some reason it would not work.  So I went  off to Opensuze as in https://software.opensuse.org/search and found codeblocks with one button installs.

So I installed the library first and then installed the codeblocks IDE  this all seemed to work OK and added another repository of
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/NarkoZ:/16.1/openSUSE_13.2/  So I guess my thanks must go to NarkoZ.

There also seems to be a sub program called codeblocks contrib.  Am I correct in assuming this installs extra libraries as developed by yourselves on here to deal with various scenarios.  If so I guess there will be documentation for them on here if not in the downloaded manual?

Please let me know if I get any of this wrong, I have only got as far as installing as above and checking that the IDE does run and no further, small steps for me to say the least.

Time for sleep.

Adrian

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: I could do with help on the first steps to install Suse 13.2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »
If you have some rpm that depend on each other you can install them if:
1. you install them one by one in the correct order
2. pass them in a single rpm command.

codeblocks-contrib contains lot of plugins that have been contributed to the project.
These plugins add some useful features.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]