Author Topic: Multiple monitors and dialog boxes  (Read 8221 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Single posting newcomer
Multiple monitors and dialog boxes
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »
Hi,

I am running Linux Mint 17.1 KDE and growing tired of all the bugs in Kate, so decided to try out Code Blocks, as I do mostly C++ work anyway so figured I may as well take advantage of stuff like code completion and such.

Unfortunately I noticed a very annoying issue, and it's that certain dialog  boxes end up on the wrong monitor.  I have a triple monitor setup and the middle one is the primary, but dialogs often end up in the left one.  Extremely infuriating.  I have tired everything at the OS level to force dialogs to go to the main monitor and nothing seems to work.  The odd thing is that it's only certain dialogs that do it. The settings dialog is fine, but the "new project" dialog is not, just as an example

In environment options there is an option to enhance multi monitor dialog placement, but it does not seem to change anything whether or not it's on or off.

Is there an option I might be missing somewhere to get this to work properly?  Thanks in advance.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Multiple monitors and dialog boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:07:36 pm »
What version of C::B are you using?
I've tried to improve the support for 16.01.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
I'll have to check when I'm home, but it's whatever is latest version in Mint 17.1, as it was recently installed from package manager.  I know package managers tend to be quite behind though...   

Edit: Just checked, it's 13.12.  Is there a way to upgrade it so it's the latest?  apt-get upgrade does not update it any further.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:40:48 pm by Red Squirrel »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 04:48:45 pm »
mint is a ubuntu distribution, so you can try the various debian sources:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks_nightly_build_on_Ubuntu

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:06:17 am »
Is it safe to just add those lines to /etc/apt/sources.list like it says without it messing up my system?

deb [arch=amd64,i386] https://apt.jenslody.de/stable jessie main
deb-src https://apt.jenslody.de/stable jessie main

I've found that often when I do apt-get upgrade [package] it ends up just updating everything.   How do I go about ensuring it ONLY updates codeblocks from that repo but everything else from the Mint repos?

Edit: I'm thinking of just installing from source, at least to test if all the dialog box placement issues are solved, and if yes, then I will try to figure out how to integrate it more with the system (having it show up under "open with" etc) but I noticed that it's hosted at sourceforge, yuck.  Is there an alternative place to get the source so I know it has not been tampered with?  I don't trust sourceforge, they tend to tamper with projects to inject malware into it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:59:27 am by Red Squirrel »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:25:08 am »
Is it safe to just add those lines to /etc/apt/sources.list like it says without it messing up my system?

deb [arch=amd64,i386] https://apt.jenslody.de/stable jessie main
deb-src https://apt.jenslody.de/stable jessie main

I've found that often when I do apt-get upgrade [package] it ends up just updating everything.   How do I go about ensuring it ONLY updates codeblocks from that repo but everything else from the Mint repos?

There is nothing else in my repo (except my signing key).

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:01:39 am »
Ok so that did not go over so well.  I think these are designed for Ubuntu and Mint even though it's based on Ubuntu is still not Ubuntu.  Adding the lines to the sources did nothing (still said it was latest version) and adding the PPA sorta worked, but I get tons of errors when I load it, about plugins not loaded etc...  IT also did not fix the dialog box issue, a lot of them are still opening on the wrong monitor.  though Codeblocks is not the only app that's guilty of doing this, it seems nobody knows how to properly code for multi monitors, and I don't think it's necessarily the fault of individual programs, but the OS themselves.  They should restrict where new windows open to make sure it's where the user is actually actively working.

But that said is there a way to just revert back so I don't get all the startup errors?  How do I remove a PPA after adding one?   

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:17:26 am »
Probably you get the errors, because you are using two verisons of c::b...
i would recommend to remove the lines you added for the debian repository, remove all (also the contrib package) codeblocks stuff via "apt-get" or synaptic, make "apt-get update" and reinstall codeblocks (with the contrib) from the ppa. Then your plugin errors should have gone...

If you still want to revert, simly remove the ppa from your source file, remove codeblocks, "apt-get update"  and reinstall codeblocks...

but dialogs often end up in the left one.
can you tell us what dialogs? this should have been fixed...

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:32:20 pm »
Not all dialogs, but some, and it seems to always be the same ones.

The ones I've tried are the following:

file/new/project
file/new/build target
file/new/file
file/new/custom
file/new/from template

Did not try anything else after that, but just going quickly through other menus, seems anything under debug does it as well.

Oddly, the settings dialogs all seem to be fine.  there is even an option under settings/environment/view called "enhanced multi monitor dialog placement" but it does no difference.

After all this fiddling around with repos I'm not sure what version I'm on anymore, but under help/about it says SVN 10122.  Date is Feb 28 2015.  So guessing I'm still on an old version but probably newer than what I had before.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:59:33 am »
If you can reproduce this with 16.01 then we can try to debug it.
Until then I can only say that it-works-for-me (I'm using cb all day long in a two monitor setup, without issues (they are fixed when I found them)).
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:43 am »
Yeah I think my issue is that I'm not getting the up to date version.

I'm willing to uninstall and try installing from source, anyone got a good reliable source (that is not sourceforge) for the source?  I'll have to figure out how to associate it with .cpp and .h files after.  I imagine there is some kind of flag for that or something.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:19 am »
Have you tried this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~damien-moore/+archive/ubuntu/codeblocks-stable
I suppose mint is still ubuntu based, right?

p.s. Why do you think sf.net is not safe for source code? I've not heard them modifying source packages or even repos, only installer base packages and this was in the past and it was opt-in.

Offline Red Squirrel

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:33 pm »
Mint seems to do stuff differently even though it's Ubuntu based so don't like using stuff made for Ubuntu.  Could be I'm doing it wrong but any time I try to use 3rd party repos all hell breaks loose.

SF has been known to tamper with people's stuff, so I don't trust it.  As far as I know it's only binary installers but still, nothing stops them from modifying source code too such as adding a small blurb to download and run spyware or something.  I suppose I could comb the entire source code for anything suspicious but that's easier said than done. :P

I'm looking at going back to a single monitor setup, and using two Raspberry Pis for the side monitors, and I'll use Synergy so mouse/keyboard works across.   That will solve the issue with not only Codeblocks but any other program that does not handle multi monitor right. Even Linux itself has trouble with it, for example when I click on the sound icon the actual menu shows up on other monitor.  It's incredible in this day and age multi monitor is still flaky like that.  The OS should handle it and it should not be up to the application IMO.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 12:07:03 am »
SF has been known to tamper with people's stuff, so I don't trust it.  As far as I know it's only binary installers but still, nothing stops them from modifying source code too such as adding a small blurb to download and run spyware or something.
In fact we have history and with our git clones we have the original history in many different places.
So if they try to re-write the svn history we'll spot this pretty easily.

Being too paranoid is counter productive...