Author Topic: need help with writing the documentation.  (Read 8874 times)

Offline frog-o

• Multiple posting newcomer
need help with writing the documentation.
« on: May 27, 2005, 05:59:07 pm »
I would like to accutaly do something wich would help this project all i done so far is get madrave anrgy at me, but I  don't want to wast my time so i figure i try to write some documontaion for codeblocks.  Could someone who wrote documation give me pointer.

What would he want me to write?

What can i do to prevent him from rejecting what i write ect.

Would be a big help.

It hard for me to comuicate with madrave.  Just see my post.

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 08:20:37 pm »
I'm not the developer, but I think that some sample things that anyone can contribute without interfering core development could be these:

- if you know wxWidgets you can start writing a plug-in. This is almost as important as maintaining the core of C::B, but you do work on your own, without interfering someone else's work.

- bug-hunting - familiarize yourself with C::B code and track official buglist - if you find something you can fix yourself - create a patch and send it to Yiannis.

- the same goes for requests. If you can make a patch that will add requested functionality, make it work in your local copy of C::B and send it to Yiannis (although it is more difficult than fixing bugs, I suppose)

- testing and submitting bugs

I have similar problem frog-o - there is not much place for me to contribute - I'm way too unexperienced to put my fingers into C::B core (besides I'm not good at someone else's code), and know nothing of wxWidgets to write a plugin myself (this will change soon, I hope :P). My tip is ---> start with simple things and progress to bigger ones. Also try doing things that you can do yourself, quite independently (group work is often much tougher and stressful).

Hope this help you. Wish you luck.

EDIT: I almost forgot! :)
New website for Code::Blocks seems to be quite big issue. If you are skilled & experienced webmaster, then...
this space is for rent

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:43:11 pm »
Hey! You could write the documentation on the SDK - how it works, etc. Or how about the compiler plugin? There's been LOTS of bug reports about custom compilers, and knowing how all this works would help a lot :)

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:11:09 pm »
I agree with rick. documentation about the SDK would be a great help for most of us.
Perhaps a tutorial about making a plugin (or is there already one? I didn't check :))

Further I don't have any suggestions, because my brains are almost boiling, it is to hot here in Holland (IMHO)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline frog-o

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 01:50:32 pm »
If you have problem leaning wxwidgets just read the wxwidget doc.  I thought it is quite good and even has samples to look at.  Compile and play with the samples.  There usaly short so and simple.  I also have problem looking thou someone else code.  When try to debug codeblock with the canges i made(wich never got implemented).  I jump from one fucttion to another to another wich got very confuseing  I would not suggest jumping into codeblock source untill you look and understand some of the sample.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 04:16:31 pm »
Um... I'm ASSUMMING that we have solid knowledge of wxWidgets. So we need a wiki on Codeblocks SDK. I mean, to fix or revamp a particular brand of car (say, a Pontiac Firebird) you first need to know how cars work, right?  Then you focus on the specifics of the Firebird. It's the same with codeblocks. And this is why we need a wiki.

I know most of the SDK, but I've never messed around with the compilergcc plugin. And nearly all the recent bug reports are for... guess what? :P So i feel practically useless. A wiki would help a lot, not only me, but other developers too.

And since we're supposed to be a team, we have to take the necessary steps for this community to work. Like, we have the RAD TOOLS thread. Without it, i doubt we would have the coordinated efforts on rad plugins. So, the wiki docs are another thing which would help the community.

Offline frog-o

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 02:34:22 pm »
I have good knowlage of wxwidget that not a porblem but a far a plugi and the sdk I have very little.

I can see the basic to use them thou

takeshimiya

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 12:31:14 pm »