Author Topic: rev 1831 does not build  (Read 29316 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: rev 1831 does not build
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »
Rick and I suggest centering the new Settings dialog. Could that single line of code be added? :)

sethjackson

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 10:37:09 pm »
Rick and I suggest centering the new Settings dialog. Could that single line of code be added? :)

Yeah I agree... The Editor dialog is centered, but not the Environment one.....

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 11:11:06 pm »
looks great.
don't want to spoil the fun,  aren't those icons in the settings dialog, not a bit too big ??

sethjackson

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 11:22:37 pm »
looks great.
don't want to spoil the fun,  aren't those icons in the settings dialog, not a bit too big ??

I think they are fine........ 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:34:02 pm by sethjackson »

takeshimiya

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 11:54:22 pm »
The icons are GIANT :lol:. I'll recommend 32x32, max limit 64x64.

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 12:06:18 am »

I like big, but not that big. 64x64 would be good. :)
78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - 12.71@109.04
99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq
 Check out The Sam Zone :cool:

sethjackson

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:26 am »

I think 32x32 might be a tad too small...... That is just my opinion though.....

takeshimiya

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:36 am »
I think 48x48 will do the trick. Remember that there will go all plugins settings, and the list will be very large.
Right now with 80x80 you have to scroll 4 times to get from beginning to end.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 12:34:22 am »
80x80 is enough of a challenge already.

However, you are not forced to stick with this, you can always design your own 48x48 icon set and replace the icons if you don't like the stock set :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 03:17:54 am »
80x80 is enough of a challenge already.

However, you are not forced to stick with this, you can always design your own 48x48 icon set and replace the icons if you don't like the stock set :)

Heh, you wanted it to be that easy, but that requieres a full recompile: :)
Code: cpp
wxImageList* images = new wxImageList(80, 80);

48x48 Icons:

64x64 Icons:

80x80 Icons:

Choose your destiny. 8)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 10:49:25 am »
Choose your destiny. 8)

IMHO 48x48 or 64x64 would be good :D.

Anyway, I feel a bit uncomfortable that the setting of plugins has been put within the Environment settings. IMHO, it would be better to let plugin outside as a separate entry (just to separate C::B core configuration from plugins configuration). Moreover, if more plugins would be added this would make the list rather huge and not so friendly if you would like to change the option of one plugin. May it would be possible to do as e.g., Eclipse. Main category --> collapsed --> sub-categories and so one.

Michael

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 11:10:16 am »
[screenshots]

Would this be a bad time to mention that those icons don't look like that on Windows 2000? There are black boxes around them. Lousy Alpha transparancy support strikes again. :?

Oh, and I take issue with the "Disabled dialogs" icon calling me insane just for wanting to know what it says :P.

takeshimiya

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 11:15:01 am »
Choose your destiny. 8)

IMHO 48x48 or 64x64 would be good :D.

Anyway, I feel a bit uncomfortable that the setting of plugins has been put within the Environment settings. IMHO, it would be better to let plugin outside as a separate entry (just to separate C::B core configuration from plugins configuration). Moreover, if more plugins would be added this would make the list rather huge and not so friendly if you would like to change the option of one plugin. May it would be possible to do as e.g., Eclipse. Main category --> collapsed --> sub-categories and so one.

Michael

Yes, something like "plugins categories" will be necessary in the future. Right now, C::B doesn't have 5000 plugins like Eclipse, so it is not necesary, but in the future...

Anyways, I think something like aMule (uses wxWidgets) uses is more comfortable (no need to scroll):

Or if having "Plugin Categories", a TreeCtrl would be better even. :)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 11:22:48 am »
Anyways, I think something like aMule (uses wxWidgets) uses is more comfortable (no need to scroll):
Or if having "Plugin Categories", a TreeCtrl would be better even. :)

Yes, something like aMule or TreeCtrl would be a good solution :D.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 12:57:43 pm »
Would this be a bad time to mention that those icons don't look like that on Windows 2000? There are black boxes around them. Lousy Alpha transparancy support strikes again. :?
Yes it would, but don't worry, everybody else is discussing this stuff too, although they had been told it is not finished... :lol:

For now, we won't be able to do anything about that issue. Once the preferences redesign is finished (so we are sure that we won't change the background colour any more), we can remove transparency alltogether and blend the icons against the background colour.
Using 8-bit transparency as a workaround is no option in this case, as this would very significantly affect image quality (a lot of alpha transparency is used in these).

Anyway, I feel a bit uncomfortable that the setting of plugins has been put within the Environment settings.
At the risk of being repetitive... it is not finished yet. A couple of things will still be subject to change. Very likely, plugins will also be classified in some manner. Compiler and debugger, for example, although technically plugins, are as good as "core", so they should not be hidden among a multitude of other plugins in the end.
Moving all non-core plugins to a separate dialog is possible, and likely to be done. At the present time, this is still work in progress.

Heh, you wanted it to be that easy, but that requieres a full recompile: :)
Au contraire, mon capitaine.
It is in fact a lot more complicated. If you want to use 48x48 icons (or 64x64), then you will have to design them for that size. You cannot just scale the existing ones down, it does not work like this.
The reason why the icons have the size they have is that you are unable to see certain details below a certain size (as it happens, this is not visible in your screenshot, but it will be quite visible in some of the others). The smaller the target size, the harder it is to get everything right, as you have to make more and more abstractions to reduce the level of detail.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."